Can't get q6600 over 3.0ghz, just restarts

superman099

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
I have the q6600 GO stepping and the gigabyte P35-S3L mobo...I have my cpu at 3.0Ghz 334x9 atm and its absolutely perfectly stable with temps in the 50s during load and low 30s at idle. I have the ZEROtherm Nirvana hsf and good airflow in my case with MX-2 thermal Paste. Temperatures are really not the issue. However, no matter what I do I can't even get 3.2ghz to be stable enough to stay in windows for more than a few minutes, It just restarts. This leads me to beleive that its the memory. I have 4x1gig of GEIL DDR2 800 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144062 I've tried underclocking the memory and changing the voltage (these are rated from 1.9 to 2.3v) and should be run at 4-4-4-12 according to their description...however i've tried loosening the settings but still If it even will make it to windows, it will restart soon after. I've tried raising the CPU voltage up even past 1.4 and it doesn't matter. I run 3.0ghz on stock voltage with 0 problems. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, I also use vista 32bit if that makes any difference however I can dual boot into xp pro. thanks

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Sure, several suggestions! List the rest of your gear!

Then list what you have done to try and get it stable. IE, voltages you changed, stuff disabled, etc.

Are you running your RAM in sync with the FSB? Did you disable stuff like transaction booster, static read control and such that mess with memory subtimings?

And of course: Could you run Core Temp, or Real Temp and list the VID of your processor, please? (You may have to disable eist if you have it in the Bios.)

And by the way, when you are on Auto in the Bios, as you up the speed and such, it will, like it should AUTOmatically raise the voltage of some stuff, especially VCore.

You can prolly dual boot because Vista loads more junk than XP.

--Lupi

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
geil ram should be very good at ocing, use cpuz to tell you what your actually core voltage is, i noticed mine drop by .08 - .10 under load from what i set it to in the bios.

it may be your cpu just wont go that fast,

superman099

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
heres full specs

q6600 Go
ZEROtherm Nirvana HSF
Gigabyte P35-S3L
4x1gig GEIL DD2 800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144062)
Asus HD4850 512mb
WD400gig SATAII 7200rpm HD
SAMSUNG 250gig SATAII 7200rpm HD

As for what i've tried...i've tried voltages ranging from 1.275-1.4 (it shouldn't take more than that and i wouldn't want to run more than that 24/7) I've also tried automatic as well which didn't help. I'm not familiar with Transaction Booster and static read control...for memory i've only tried it on 4-4-4-12 which is the recommended setting and the automatic setting which is 5-5-5-15...but i have tried different voltages , i keep it on +3v which is 2.1v. If i go any higher it says that I Fail in my system health. THe memory is rated to 2.3v and i have tried up to +5v which puts it at 2.3v. I have eist disabled.

CORETEMP VID= 1.2750v
coretempft1.jpg

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Hmm, yeah, then it's prolly somthing else. Done the basic junk like disable all spread spectrum stuff, as well as all CPU options like vanderpool, c1e, etc?

Lock the PCIe to 100 Mhz, then go with a NB voltage of 1.40. Try for that 400 FSB, make sure the RAM is running linked and then for the ratio, sync mode.

Damn it, Gigabyte.. NB 1.20, so +.3 on that. Memory multiplier 2.00 (I think thats it, I hate those boards for the weird names.)

You'll also have to test your VDrop and droop. So that means a run on stock, with a Manually entered VCore of 1.2750 entered in the bios.

Boot to windows and look with CPUz for the Core Voltage. That is the current voltage going to your cores. After a minute in windows, list its idle voltage.

After that, run Prime 95 small ffts on all cores. After 1 minutes, list the lowest you see CPUz Core Voltage read your cores at during this 1 minutes time.

The drop from Bios to Idle Windows is Voffset. (Vdrop.) And the second, the reduction from Idle windows to fully loaded on small ffts, all cores, is VDroop.

These both cause the amount of power to the processor to drop. if it drops to much, Boom! So you'll need to know how much you need to compensate for it.

(Some boards have a feature to stop that effect called Load Line Calibration! I Love it greatly!)

Lemme look for Screen Shots of yer Bios.

Speaking of which, you have updated your BIOS, yes?

gMCH is the NB, lol, nice name.

You can leave the FSB over voltage alone, or try +.1

Pretty basic board.

--Lupi

superman099

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Thanks for all the info im going to do all that when i get back from the beach this weekend...just wanna let u know im on it and i appreciate your advice, i'll keep ya updated

Pyryck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
What about changing the FSB to 400 and LOWERING the multiplier to 8 while link/sync the RAM with ratio at 1:1?

3.2ghz easy...