truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I bought a new eVGA 780i MB and I must say I am disapointed. With all the same settings as my GA-P35-DQ6 and actually tighter memory timings, which I was not able to pull off with the other MB. I am actually getting less of a score in 3Dmark06. I am seeing the pcie 2.0 difference because I have a 8800GTS 512 but, my CPU score has dropped :( and it puts me at a lower score because of that . I need better memory that is for sure because I bought some Corsair Dominator DDR2 800 C5 2X 2024Mb, and it sucks I actually thing that the manifacturer locked the memorys cas speed to not go below 5 :heink: . I just wanted to post this and see what people think, oppinions,,.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I wouldn't worry about it, but out of curiosity, are you using the latest BIOS.

It's a new board so it wouldnt surprise me if it had some bugs in it. But if your playing your games without any problems then I wouldnt be to concerned with it.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Yep I flashed it today. It plays games fine "better then fine I suppose" but, it cost alot of money and I want the best performance for that $ that's all. It sucks that corsair locked the cas level like that. I didn' know they did that kind of stuff.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
What exactly is your complaint about the motherboard? Is it that it cant run tight timings with the same memory as you had on previous board? If that's the case than you need to set the timings manually. I have never heard of any manufacturer locking CAS latency.
Could it be that you have not tried to set the timings correctly?
What exactly is the complaint? Is it that the score in 3dmark06 is lower? If that is the case than maybe you have no turned off functions like speedstep and other cpu functions in the bios. You should manually set all functions such as cpu multi, fsb, and voltages with this motherboard.
I was blown away with my 3dmark06 score and couldnt be more happy.
I think this board is the best thing since sliced bread... the only thing it doesnt do for me is make breakfast. I would be very surprised to hear that it is not meeting or beating anyone's expectations comparing it to a intel base chipset.
How much of a score difference are you seeing? If you are seeing a substantial difference it may be due to one core on a multi core chip being disabled. Check in bios... if your score is half on cpu what it was on previous board than that may be the case. I would re-format windows if you didnt do it already and make sure all cores are working properly!

pony

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
something must be ture, in the pass the 680i overtake Intel's P965,so intel now not give much support to Nvida to develop it's Mboard.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Ok I will post all my settings but, yes I have everything set right, ty for asking though. I will be getting my crucial memory back that I RMAd the other week then I will get to see the true pottential but,,, with the memory I have now,, I just had it setup ith the same exact settings all the way on my GA-P35-DQ6 and ran the test "3dmark" and got a higher score with my cpu part by like 300 points which is alot for the cpu IMO. I did a good flash and everything and the score did go up a little for my pcie after flashing but, not my cpu score. I just feel that I should be spanking my P35 board with this one and I find it kind of crappy.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
What is your FSB running at with both boards? If the P35 is running at a higher FSB than the higher bandwidth will allow for higher cpu speeds. Even if you have it all set to auto go in and set everything to manual and on the same and they should be about close to the same. 300 does seem much but I don't think that it's something to be concerned to much about.
Do a controlled test with both boards.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I just tried to push the board and it will not boot stable past 3.65,,,,,,,,,,, tHAT IS PATHETIC...... I am very disapointed.. I agree with you on the whole speed thing. I had everything setup the same. My Gigabyte P35 Motherboard crushes this thing. I was seeing that people say to do a pencil vdroop mod on this but, I shouldn't have to mod anything. I tried every combo of voltage and settings and nothing would make it go stabley past 3.65Ghz. There is a memory hole to as they call it it wont boot at all between 1700 and 1750 ?? past that it starts booting but, never into Windows. My CPU and GPU are alot cooler now then they were when I had it all plugged into the P35 too "I baught new thermalrights for both..

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Alright... I'm assuming you are talking about the 780i board not being able to boot past 3.65 stable. And I am also assuming you are talking about Q6600 cpu???? What stepping?

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I cant fathom why a manufacturer would lock the timings of memory. Especially a company like Corsair. I am wondering if maybe you are not running these puppies the best they can. I would start at or around 5-5-4-15 2T around 2.0-2.2 to start. Then set everything else to default.

I will tell you exactly what I've seen successful if you tell me your proc... You have P03 bios revision right?

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Got it... first off set all voltages as follows... make sure NB fan is installed:

1.5v NB
CPU core around 1.4-1.425
CPU fsb 1.5 (if running above 450fsb) otherwise 1.4
spp 1.5
mcp 1.65 or 1.6 to be safe
spp<>mcp 1.4
mcp aux (auto)
pci-e mhz (125mhz)
spp mcp ref clock (250mhz)

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Now overclock:

Set memory to expert mode.

Multi to 9x, then raise FSB to 450 (this should put you just over 4.0 Ghz)
memory timings should be 5-5-4-15 around 2.1 volts or 5-5-5-15 around 2.0 volts.

In voltages set all GTLVREF lanes 0-3 to +85mv... this will ensure stability.

memory should be on sync for 1:1

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I would keep messing with it... there is no reason why you shouldnt be getting high overclocks. Guys on extreme systems are getting 4+ with your set up.

Here are some more settings.

Execute disable bit (enable)
sys bios cacheable (disable)
MPET function (enable)
Init display (pci-e)
reset config data (disable)
HPET function (enable)
ACPI function (enabled)

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I might not have the +85mv settings right that might be it. I did try to bump them little but, only to +25mv I was scared :p. I don't think my memory will go that high. When I tell mine 1:1 it wants to go high one sec I will reboot and look /try to get higher into windows.. brb

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Ok with 1:1 in mine it wants to set it to like 1330~ for 1800 = 450. If I tell it to sync then it goes to 835~ something like that @ 1750. I am actually @ 3.825 right now. I had noticed that one of those thingies set it self to +105mv. I set them all to .85mv and nothing would boot @1750 I went back in and set them all to +105 and got her to boot @ 1700 = 425 :):):) By gollie I think we got it lol sorry.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Ok check this, I went out to try to get a little more and bumped it up to 1750 and it wouldn't boot so , I upped to +135 and nothing. I went back to 1650 and bumped it down to +85 and nothing. I then bumped it back to +105 and it wouldn't make it to windows?? I put it back to 1700 and made it right back into windows with the +105?? This board is possesed. :p. They are supposed to be coming out with one with all solid caps, I wonder if they know it is crap because of the non solid caps. I will run this by them and if they don't give a good response. I'm sending it back and getting a x48 or 38.. Gigabyte.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

I noticed your posts on xtremesystems.org. I would keep at it if I were you. Who knows though maybe you got a bad board. Well if you dont have any plans for sli in the future I would probably do the same and take that sucker back. I love mine... but then again I have an SLI set-up. It overclocks well for me. The only complaint I have is NB heat... fan is too loud.
I would if you are still in it for sure continue to post on xtremesystems.org I think you can get it to at least post at 4GHZ.
Maybe try setting your multi to 8x this time and running a 500mhz FSB. That should give you a 2000mhz overal allowing for good bandwidth. I say set that NB to 1.5 and run linked memory in sync mode. Well that's if you have overclockable memory. You could try it and just loosen the timings even more.
As far as your other board goes... what can I say? The P35 is a lot to live up to. The X38 isnt even as good as it. My friend has an X38 foxconn with G0 stepping cpu and he cant stand how it overclocks compared to my board. So if you are going to get new get maybe P45. Or X48.
I wish you good luck... feel sorry for your troubles with how much you spent but either keep at it or give it back to EVGA and get money back.
Keep us posted as I'm interested in what you end up doing.

TRENDING THREADS