Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel OC equivalent to 6000+ stock

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 23, 2008 5:17:59 AM

Hi all, I was pretty set on a build based around a 6000+, but I keep hearing about Intel being the way to go with overclocking. I wasn't originally intent on OCing (never done it before), but if it'll save me a few bucks I'll give it a look :p .

So yes - what would be the best (cheapest) Intel CPU that would match a 6000+ at stock speeds? Ideally I'm not looking to spend over $200, but whatever works...
January 23, 2008 5:49:37 AM

Grab a Pentium E2160 for $80, a decent P35 based motherboard for ~$100 (the Gigabyte-GA-P35-DS3L is a great budget board) and 2GB DDR2-800 memory for $50 -> $70. You'll overclock to 3GHz easily with the included Intel heatsink, or you could go higher with an aftermarket cooler. At that speed you'll smoke any dual core AMD CPU - overclocked or not.
January 23, 2008 5:53:39 AM

Any of the cheap C2D's overclocked will match the 6000+ at stock speeds. IE - 2160, 2180, 2200 will all overclock to 3 Ghz or higher which should have no problem beating the 6000+. Those are all sub 100 dollar processors. If you want to spend a little more than get one of the new E8400's for around $200 and overclock it to 4 Ghz or more. Even at stock its clocked at 3 Ghz with 6 mb cache and much faster than the 6000+.
Related resources
January 23, 2008 6:26:07 AM

a 2.6ghz C2D is on par with a stock 6000+... so pretty much any C2D with a mild OC will be able to match and easily put that 6000+ in the dust.
January 23, 2008 12:13:13 PM

are you telling me you are going to over clock a CPU to get to another CPU speed i don't think its a good idea because you are going to over clock it so its better not to over clock it.
January 23, 2008 12:28:34 PM

dm88 said:
Hi all, I was pretty set on a build based around a 6000+, but I keep hearing about Intel being the way to go with overclocking. I wasn't originally intent on OCing (never done it before), but if it'll save me a few bucks I'll give it a look :p .

So yes - what would be the best (cheapest) Intel CPU that would match a 6000+ at stock speeds? Ideally I'm not looking to spend over $200, but whatever works...


Like they said, but find one with 4mb or more. you'll be happier with it in the end.
January 23, 2008 1:16:32 PM

skittle said:
a 2.6ghz C2D is on par with a stock 6000+... so pretty much any C2D with a mild OC will be able to match and easily put that 6000+ in the dust.


Actually looking at the CPU benchmarks it's more on a par with a 2.4ghz C2D (the E6600). The E6600 is ever so slightly faster in most benchmarks.

lord_kld said:
are you telling me you are going to over clock a CPU to get to another CPU speed i don't think its a good idea because you are going to over clock it so its better not to over clock it.


Why wouldn't he overclock it? Overclocking these chips is easy as pie and it's a good idea because it costs less :) 


January 23, 2008 1:17:57 PM

lord_kld said:
are you telling me you are going to over clock a CPU to get to another CPU speed i don't think its a good idea because you are going to over clock it so its better not to over clock it.


:lol:  That's the whole idea behind overclocking... getting more performance out of a chip without paying for it. Doesn't it make sense to pay $80 and get the performance of a $160 chip? By the way, that is some nice logic :pt1cable: 
January 23, 2008 4:42:30 PM

lord_kld said:
are you telling me you are going to over clock a CPU to get to another CPU speed i don't think its a good idea because you are going to over clock it so its better not to over clock it.


come again?
January 23, 2008 4:44:23 PM

TurdBurglar said:
:lol:  That's the whole idea behind overclocking... getting more performance out of a chip without paying for it. Doesn't it make sense to pay $80 and get the performance of a $160 chip? By the way, that is some nice logic :pt1cable: 


Can I have your dealer's number please? :pt1cable: 
Iron Ryan :sol: 
January 23, 2008 5:53:32 PM

Ironnads said:
Can I have your dealer's number please? :pt1cable: 
Iron Ryan :sol: 


Residential Loan Officers don't have dealer numbers :kaola:  ...just common sense (well, some).
January 23, 2008 6:19:52 PM

u pushin that sh*t direct huh?
January 23, 2008 6:24:27 PM

cynewulf said:
Actually looking at the CPU benchmarks it's more on a par with a 2.4ghz C2D (the E6600). The E6600 is ever so slightly faster in most benchmarks.



Why wouldn't he overclock it? Overclocking these chips is easy as pie and it's a good idea because it costs less :) 


Not only is it easier, its within the design specs of the Chip.

The E2140 (1.6Ghz) and E6800(3.0 Ghz) are built using the same basic processes and materials.
The slower chips have some cache and other features disabled.

There are also some slight stepping differences between different models, though some of the slowest chips are actually using some of the most modern processes.

All of the Chips are designed for upto 1.5v of power and a temperature I can't recall. (70c IIRC)
So long as you operate your chips within these parameters and the chip remains stable, you are not going to harm your chip our your CPU.

There is simply no logical reason to pay more for a chip when you can get just as much
January 23, 2008 6:28:20 PM

Ironnads said:
u pushin that sh*t direct huh?


You are becoming almost as incoherent as lord_kld :pt1cable: 
January 23, 2008 6:34:44 PM

Take a E6550 @ 2.33 ghz and overclock to 2.4ghz and you'll have a close equivalent to 6000+ @ stock
January 23, 2008 6:39:48 PM

Any Core2 based CPU will leave the 6000 behind upon reaching ~2.3-2.4 GHz
January 23, 2008 10:52:20 PM

Thanks all...based on those replies I'm now thinking of getting an E2200 - will the board Mandrake suggested (GB GA-P35-DS3L) suffice? I also want to eventually run two 3870's in Crossfire, so that need to be taken into account too...

cheers!
!