New Syntax Olevia

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 11, 2005 9:04:32 PM

Anyone heard anything of these TVs? They seem to be getting fair to good
reviews and are fairly inexpensive.

More about : syntax olevia

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:37:37 PM

I've got a 27' LCD from Syntax and it's a very nice computer monitor and
HDTV. It works well for gaming because it has a 12 ms response timing. I had
a problem with the DVI input shortly after I got it and they took care of
the problem by replacing the motherboard. They were professional in there
response, but it took several calls to schedule a tech out to replace the
board. No dead pixels, better sound from the speakers then most and are
detachable. I don't use the speakers but may in the future.

The only negative I can relay about the company is they have been very slow
paying rebates. Mine took 6 months and several phone calls to phone numbers
that were difficult to come by. They change the number for rebate info and
it was confusing as to whom to contact. A friend had the same experience
with their rebate.

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> Anyone heard anything of these TVs? They seem to be getting fair to good
> reviews and are fairly inexpensive.
June 12, 2005 5:29:46 PM

I have one, and its great
<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> Anyone heard anything of these TVs? They seem to be getting fair to good
> reviews and are fairly inexpensive.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 12, 2005 5:29:47 PM

DWilli wrote:
> I have one, and its great
> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
>
>>Anyone heard anything of these TVs? They seem to be getting fair to good
>>reviews and are fairly inexpensive.

What do you do for a ATSC tuner? What size/model do you have?
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:32:05 AM

In article <BMmdnZZIp74y_THfRVn-vg@rogers.com>,
"tim@nocomment.com" <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

> DWilli wrote:
> > I have one, and its great
> > <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Anyone heard anything of these TVs? They seem to be getting fair to good
> >>reviews and are fairly inexpensive.
> >

> What do you do for a ATSC tuner? What size/model do you have?

I have the 32". It is great but has the common problem of every LCD I
have seen -- no black, just really dark grey. I use my DirecTV tuner
for HD, but supposedly, Syntax will have an HD tuner upgrade at some
point this year.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

Robert Peirce wrote:

> In article <BMmdnZZIp74y_THfRVn-vg@rogers.com>,
> "tim@nocomment.com" <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>

>>DWilli wrote:
>>
>>>I have one, and its great
>>><tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message

>>What do you do for a ATSC tuner? What size/model do you have?
>

> I have the 32". It is great but has the common problem of every LCD I
> have seen -- no black, just really dark grey. I use my DirecTV tuner
> for HD, but supposedly, Syntax will have an HD tuner upgrade at some
> point this year.

I'm tempted to wait until then before buying if that is the one I choose
so I don't have to buy a replacement tuner and swap it in. The sets will
come with the new tuner when they are available according to their tech
support.
Do you find the 32" large enough? The 37" will be $1,000 Cdn more when
you consider taxes but that little extra seems to make a big difference
in the store.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:59:08 AM

In article <0JCdncFRGf5LeTHfRVn-pw@rogers.com>,
"tim@nocomment.com" <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

> Do you find the 32" large enough? The 37" will be $1,000 Cdn more when
> you consider taxes but that little extra seems to make a big difference
> in the store.

I was replacing a 27" CRT TV. The 32" is about 1/2" shorter. A 33" or
34" would have been better, but not available. A 37" would have been
too big, but I may end up with one in a year or two if I can get 1080p
at a reasonable price. I believe the Syntax 32" and 37" are pretty much
the same, but I haven't actually seen the 37".

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:47:00 PM

I bought my first one, 30", for cable (analog), the picture quality
is very good to excellent. I then got the second one for OTA
HDTV (2 different locations). The components input was terrible.
I could not get color right. However, the DVI is very good.
They have an interesting feather that you can watch one channel and
monitor 12 other channels at the same time (using the build-in 2
NTSC tuners only).

In article <eNWqe.5391$Kw.124928@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
DWilli <dwilliams68@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>I have one, and its great
><tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone heard anything of these TVs? They seem to be getting fair to good
>> reviews and are fairly inexpensive.

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:03:55 AM

Robert / Tim -

About 2 weeks ago we replaced our aging Sony 27" Trinitron with an
Olevia 32" LCD purchased through Amazon with a free 20" LCD (to be sent
by mail). About $1500.

We love it!

IMHO, the Olevia screen is not as good as the Sharp Aquos, but was
actually better than the Sony LCD's and much better than the other
no-name brands.

The Olevia was well packaged for shipment. Calibration was good right
out of the box. Built in speakers and audio is pretty good. Good
selection of video inputs. Remote is easy to use.

Our 27" had a 4:3 NTSC aspect ratio; the 32" 16:9 aspect ratio
mathematically gives you a smaller 4:3 images than the old 27".
[Translation: Regular TV doesn't fully fill the screen.] However, the
Olevia lets you "zoom" to fill the screen, which is OK with me - I like
the bigger image, and don't mind the "fattening" distortion.

It has an NTSC (standard def) TV tuner. A HDTV upgrade tuner is
supposed to be available "this summer".

Posted by www.AndrewM.com [AMPostID 20050706]

www.VoiceInfo.com: Entrepreneurs, ISV's, Developers -
Sell & support your products with an 800# Virtual Office!
www.800.Virtual.Office-Phone.Assistant.VoiceInfo.com/

www.TekGuard.com: Developers, ISP's, Small Businesses -
Need free C# anti-spam email server, plugIn, webmail source?
www.Free.Mail.Server-Outlook.PlugIn-WebMail.TekGuard.co...
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:47:00 PM

In article <1120705435.864260.109040@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"www.VoiceInformation.com" <AMichalik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Olevia lets you "zoom" to fill the screen, which is OK with me - I like
> the bigger image, and don't mind the "fattening" distortion.

I discovered this distortion seems only to happen when using the
built-in tuner. When zooming off DirecTV, even on local channels, and
off DVD, the increase seems to be exactly proportional.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:59:57 AM

"tim@nocomment.com" <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in

> Anyone heard anything of these TVs? They seem to be getting fair to
good
> reviews and are fairly inexpensive.

Just got mine and hooked it up. So far I love it. It replaced an old
27" and tomorrow Time Warner hooks up HDTV. I can hardly wait. The only
negitive thing is the lame remote. The thing is about a foot long and you
have to press the buttons 2 or 3 times before it works. I plan on
getting a universal if I can figure out what setting the TV takes.

Sorry to hear about the rebate hassle. Hope mine goes better. Got it at
buydig.com for $1100 before the $100 rebate and no tax plus free FedEx
shipping.

JohnS
!