WPA key problem - please advise

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I hope someone can advise on this problem.

I share internet and I need to use wireless with my laptop. I use wired with my desktop.

Anyway, I cannot get wireless to work with my laptop and I use both Windows and Linux.

I am now trying to get it to work in Windows first and having no luck. I am using XP and when I try 'Network Connections, Wireless Network Connection, Choose a wireless network...' I get:

'after scanning, that is, I have to type in the network key! Is this a hex key or an ASCII key or WHAT?!?

I hope someone can advise here because it's really infuriating!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind using a hex key or passphrase but I wish the Windows XP wireless utility would indicate which one I am supposed to use.

I have to share internet so I have to use what is set up. A passphrase via the router is used and so I tried to enter the passphrase in the 'network key' space but nothing worked. It just displays 'trying to acquire network address' (or something like that) forever.

I could try to generate a hex key from the passphrase but I doubt that will work.

So? What do I do now?

I would like to change the router info but that will screw up some computers (I almost don't care at this point!!!!).

G

If you have an older (pre SP2) version of Win XP and are using Windows to manage the connection, the encryption settings won't match current routers.

Either update XP or try using the connection utilities which came with the wireless adapter in your computer.

With WPA the passphrase is entered in alphanumeric, not HEX.