Sign in with
Your question

2x15k sas or 2x10k raptors for my new desktop

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2009 3:05:14 PM

Alright so I'm building a new system, my current system has 2x 10k RPM 74gb raptors in a raid 0. I have 2x 15k RPM SAS drives sitting in front of me and I've been reading all morning trying to figure out which would be a better choice. This is for a gaming system.

The only price factor in this is that my new motherboard obviously supports SATA raid. If I want to use the SAS drives I have picked out HIGHPOINT ROCKETRAID2640X4 SAS controller at 156$. Also the motherboard I bought has 2 PCIx16 slots so this PCIx4 card would take up my 2nd x16 slot, which eliminates SLI in the future.

Now the real question is, is it worth the 156$ (speed wise) to upgrade from 2x raptors to 2x 15k SAS drives? I've been reading a lot about the performance comparisons but they all recommend SATA due to the high price of SAS drives. But given that I already own all the drives and the only price factor is the 156$ card, I'm stuck on which would be the better choice in a raid 0 or raid 1. Space is not an issue as I have other drives to store data.

If I'm only looking at a small increase in speed (say 5%) then it wouldn't be worth it in my eyes. But with a 50% RPM increase with the SAS I can't imagine the benefit would be as small.

Thoughts? Ideas? At this point I'm leaning towards sas, if no other reason that to brag :lol:  but I'd really like some solid #'s so I can justify buying the raid card and losing the capability of SLI in the future

My new build setup:

Antec Nine Hundred Case
Asus P5N-D Motherboard
Intel e8500 CPU
MSI GTX 260
4gb Crucial Ballistix ram
Rosewill 650w PS

Edit: I was thinking maybe another option would be selling the SAS and raptors and upgrading to a couple vraptors? :) 
a b G Storage
January 6, 2009 3:39:21 PM

Which specific SAS drives are they?
January 6, 2009 3:49:00 PM

They are at home and I'm at work so I don't have the exact models. They are about 2.5 years old.
a b G Storage
January 6, 2009 3:54:02 PM

With them being that old, I'd be tempted to go with selling everything and getting velociraptors. It's hard to be sure though without knowing the exact models.
January 6, 2009 3:57:18 PM

I pulled up an old email and I know they are Seagate 73gb, but yeah I think selling is going to be my best option
January 6, 2009 4:05:27 PM

Well, from what I hear, SAS drives tend to be subpar to the velociraptors when you're talking gaming specifically. The issue is that the SAS drives are designed for high IOs - database access, multiple users, your general server environment. Difference is that gaming systems require less of that and really thrive from random reads (depemding on fragmentation) and seek access times.

Now, take the above with a grain of salt, as the previous poster pointed out, its hard to give you an answer as we dont know what kind of SAS drives you are holding. It may well be that they are faster then you Raptors. However, on the other hand, Velociraptors are really really really fast, outdoing the Raptors handily. If it was my system, then I would sell the Raptors and SAS drives and go for 2 300GB VelociRaptors in Raid 0. The thing will zip zoom fly and I don't think you will be hard drive limited for some time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."
a b G Storage
January 6, 2009 4:48:07 PM

The Seagate Cheetahs are excellent drives to be sure. Whether it's worth it would depend on the generation - I'd be tempted to keep them if they were 15k.5 or 15k.6. Anything older, and while they would be fast, they wouldn't be fast enough to even outperform your current raptors.

The 15k.6 scream though - they are over 150MB/s sustained, and something like 5ms access times.
January 6, 2009 4:58:32 PM

I don't believe they are .5 or .6, but I'll have to check.

Thanks for the imput. For the 150$ id save not having to buy the controller and the amounts I can probably get for the drives, I can easily buy 2x velociraptors. That is probably the route I'm going to take
January 6, 2009 4:58:36 PM

I have 2 74gb raptors sat in my old system. have you got a storage drive cos you'll fill those up in no time.
January 6, 2009 5:08:14 PM

I did test 2x 15k rpm SAS drives and they beat raptors in Raid on Adaptec SAS controler by huge margin with 492 MB/s peek and 289 MB/s sustainable transfer speed (measured in HD tach).

Also if you are concerned about your 2nd PCI-e, you can get SAS controller almost on any buss, PCI,PCI-X,PCI-e.
(tho PCI versions are little rare and and i an not sure about their overall performance).
January 6, 2009 5:53:50 PM

fergie said:
I have 2 74gb raptors sat in my old system. have you got a storage drive cos you'll fill those up in no time.

Yes I have other drives for storage. Currently with them now I'm only using about 100gb with most of the games I normally play installed. I keep most my other stuff + backups on my 250

I was looking at sas controllers on other bus's but they seems to have speed issues when using 2x 15k rpm drives
a b G Storage
January 6, 2009 8:59:19 PM

xrodney said:
I did test 2x 15k rpm SAS drives and they beat raptors in Raid on Adaptec SAS controler by huge margin with 492 MB/s peek and 289 MB/s sustainable transfer speed (measured in HD tach).

Also if you are concerned about your 2nd PCI-e, you can get SAS controller almost on any buss, PCI,PCI-X,PCI-e.
(tho PCI versions are little rare and and i an not sure about their overall performance).

With those speeds though, you were testing the newer variants, not the older drives that seem to be referred to here. That's why I said I'd keep them if they were .5 or .6 drives.
January 7, 2009 2:40:51 PM

I checked them, they are 15k.4 models. Sell it is!
January 8, 2009 3:57:41 PM

The thing you really have to ask yourself is this. How important is your data? I am a Network Coordinator by trade and SAS is the only thing I deal with for my SQL data, NAS, Etc. However in my desktop environment my needs are much, much different. SAS is fantastic when you have database because of high IO needs. But when your talking about gaming. The sheer difference is a joke. 400+ IO/Sec vs your needs, you get the drift.

SAS are basically entirely reliable, and LOUD. If you take two of them inside your system and put that system on your desk, you can feel the ripple effect comming from your machine. The speed is so fast the vibration isn't jittering but smooth, they are designed to be mounted securely and the rack helps dissipate the virbration. You will find that todays 7200 rpm(WD Black Drives) outperform the origonal 10k raptors. I strongly suggest you get that controller you were talking about and purchase WD Black hard drives in a raid config, if you were to stripe the data across 4 drives you can saturate your controller or darn close. That will be the best you can hope for in performance and size.

My thoughts,

Elerick
a b G Storage
January 8, 2009 4:27:49 PM

I hit a sustained read of about 220mb/s with my 2 velociraptors in RAID-0 using HD-Tune and 128k stripe (EX58-UD5 board on Intel RAID). I'm still doing some testing on my board though, seems like I have a short somewhere. Will be doing some more benchmarks once that problem is taken care of but it looks like that's about where I should be with that. You might like 4xWD Black drives better.
January 9, 2009 4:15:01 PM

Thanks for the info!
!