Sign in with
Your question

Help .. Security Update.. now waves on screen

Last response: in Windows XP
June 13, 2010 8:55:25 PM

Hello,
I tried installing the latest security updates from microsoft 2 days ago.. One of them KB980218 refused to load at all after i tried 12 times.. after reading alot i read its because its NOT supported by my older version of Windows.. Im running Windows 5.1 i believe . Anyways heres my dilemma.. I cant afford a repairman and there are NOW waves in all my pages when im scrolling up or down in all my images. web pages. etc.. terrible waves like its having a hard time even scrolling.. the images are in waves..AND my Mc Affee virus scan gets to 788 files (20%) scanning and just stops.. wont complete a scan.. Im beside myself and have no clue how to fix this.. I want my old computer back BEFORE these last 16 updates..
Does ANYONE have any suggestions on what I can try or do to fix this? thank you very much
June 13, 2010 10:30:32 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The waves in ur screen only means one thing: A problem with ur video driver.

Download the last driver for the rig and install it, that should solve the problem.
June 14, 2010 2:25:42 AM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The waves in ur screen only means one thing: A problem with ur video driver.

Download the last driver for the rig and install it, that should solve the problem.

Okay thank you saint.. now Ill go figure out how to find out what what video driver I have and how to update it.. ..
Related resources
June 14, 2010 3:39:44 AM

Actually, it might be better to set the system back to the time before you installed the update(s)
And then again, it might be better to turn off the updates all together. Your choice.

A. Have you tried to run system restore, setting the drive back to a time before the computer became corrupted. Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else
June 14, 2010 5:02:07 AM

Okay THIS sounds 100 times easier for me to deal with :)  I can probably do this one;) Ive dug out probably 25 disks looking for the video card driver cd but cant recognize it ..bleh I THINK i bought a new video card 2 years ago but cant remember the name of it and have read sooo much info on 'how to' Im totally confused..so yeah Ill try a restore BUT wont windows just ask me to update again and then Ill have all these waves in my screen again later .. or can I just never update at all and Ill be okay?
June 14, 2010 5:47:32 PM

If u want know what GPU do u have, u can use some programs like GPU-Z or Everest that give u the manufacturer and model of the GPU that u have.
a b 8 Security
June 14, 2010 5:51:24 PM

There is one other possible cause for the wavy scrolling. Your browser has an option called 'smooth scrolling.' If this got switched off, enabling it will solve the problem. Open the browser-->tools-->options-->make sure smooth scrolling is enabled.
June 15, 2010 1:00:06 AM

Now that's a good idea.
!