Status
Not open for further replies.

swimmer13

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Okay, my computer has not been able to play cd's or dvd's in awhile. I see the drives under My Computer, but when I put the CD in and double click on the drive, nothing happens, the screen turns completely blue with nothing else on the screen, and freezes the computer. I usually have to shut it down with the power off button. Anyone know why this might be happening?

Solution
sounds like the drive is dead and it takes down the whole computer when you try to use it. but before you go out and buy a new one (you can get a dvd burner for like $30 anyway), try checking the connections to the drive and make sure nothing is loose. and if that fails, i think you're gonna have to buy a new one.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
sounds like the drive is dead and it takes down the whole computer when you try to use it. but before you go out and buy a new one (you can get a dvd burner for like $30 anyway), try checking the connections to the drive and make sure nothing is loose. and if that fails, i think you're gonna have to buy a new one.

Solution

swimmer13

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Okay thanks. This is probably a stupid question, if I get a dvd burner, will it read data files also, or would I need to get another drive for those types of cd's.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

don't worry, it'll read everything you're already able to read, and give you the ability to burn dvd's as well as cd's. some can even do dual layer dvd's and litescribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.