Recording/Mixing

elusivelight

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm looking to record my guitar to my PC without using mics. Basically I'm trying to toss my old 4track recorder and integrate it into my PC.

1.) Is that even possible?

2.) Does the soundcard even have anything to do with that?

Thanks in advance for any input.

treeface

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Hello there, you're going to have to part with a little cash in order to make that happen, idealy you're going to need a PCI card with breakout box, or a USB/firewire box. I'm using the M-Audio firewire1814 but there are much cheaper options. Other conciderations are latency (basically the time delay between you plucking a string and the sound you hear), ASIO is also useful, then you'll need software to capture the sound.
Please could you give me more info about your budget and also how much you know about multitrack/mixing software.

mi1ez

Splendid
The soundcard could have something to do with it, but it depends on how much money you're looking to spend, and what sort of quality you expect from your finished tracks.

elusivelight

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Hey, thanks for the reply. My budget isn't limitless, I don't have a great knowledge of multi track mixing, basically I just want to lay down a rythm track or 2 and then lay a solo track over it. I teach basic guitar stuff on the side and it is a huge confidence booster for the kids to get to hear themselves playing their first couple of licks (not to mention a great motivator to get them to actually do the practice).

My budget isn't limitless and by no means do I need to end up with a studio quality recording, I'd like to not go over $500 for the whole set up, ~$300 would be great, but I have no idea what what budget makes this type of stuff feasible.

Thanks.

treeface

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Hello again, here's a link for some free software --> http://www.pcmus.com/Free-Software.htm
you could learn the basics whilst using this and as far as recording hardware goes again this depends on whether you are looking to the future for expansion, eg if you feel for the next 5-10 years you will only be wanting to get guitar into your pc or at some point you might want to buy an XLR plugged microphone, stuff like that.
There are many mid-ranged soundcards or external box devices out there for your budget starting from a usb guitar port through to multi I/O boxes, the likes of soundblaster have a budget range of cards with boxes and usb/firewire cards with very low latency, have a shop around and read the feature list and what applies to you for now or maybe future expansion ie a keyboard and such.
happy shopping :D

modboi

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Hi there,

There are a few things you need to consider:

Number of I/O
Latency
Connectivity
Quality
Software

First, you need to be aware that not all jack inputs/outputs are the same. Guitar output is hi Z (impedance), low level and thus you need either a soundcard with will accept (or has an option for) hi Z input. Inputs on semi-pro (read home recording to budget studio) audio interfaces will usually accept Mic (usually on XLR) and line (usually TS or TRS 1/4" Jack) inputs. Some have an option to switch an input to Hi Z to plug a guitar directly in. The other option is to purchase a DI box. A DI box takes mic/guitar level signals and converts them to line level with the correct impedance.

Latency is a major issue with regards to recording. Hi latency can be extremely distracting when playing and monitoring back at the same time. Latency is effectively caused by the A/D and D/A processes involved in recording and listening back on a computers. Long story short it's to do with buffers and smaller buffers reduce the latency. However, smaller buffers reqire higher performance from the computer as the effectively allow less margin for error. When recording a single audio steam this is well within even 2-3year old computer territory.

A lot of soundcards now provide a direct monitor function where you don't actually hear back what is going through the computer. Instead the input is routed both into the computer and directly to the output at the same time so you hear an instant performance. However, this prevents you from hearing any effects like compression or reverb that are being added by the computer whilst recording (although when listening back to the recording after the performance you can hear the effects).

From your post it sounds like it might be hand for the device to be portable and I'm pretty sure that some guitar effects pedals can not double up as an audio interface for direct connection to a PC via USB2 or firewire.

The final thing to consider is how you are going to record with the PC. Names like Cubase and Protools get thrown around far too easily. For your purposes, a freeware multitracker will be fine. I'm sure there are ones that worth with VST plugins which allow for a good variety of effects to be applied. There are 1000s of free VST plugins floating around. As for hte multitracker, the name Audacity comes to mind but I can't remember off hand. Just found it http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It is probably worth looking at www.soundonsound.com forum. The guys on there know just about everything there is to do with recording and computers. Also, not for price but for a good breakdown of what is on the market look at turnkey.co.uk. They stock just about everything so it's easy to compare features of different devices.

Hope this helps.