I will never buy mobo with Nvidia chipset!!! :fou:

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi Guys!I have recently bought an ASUS Striker Extreme mobo.My problem is that I have a hard time trying to install Vista on it. I usually managed (finally...) to pass the 1st phase of the installation process (Copying&Expanding files,Intalling updates&features...)BUT after the first restart my computer slows down like hell, it reads my hard disk very slowly and sooner or later the install freezes...I removed all my RAMS from the mobo leaving only one 1GB Corsair stick in it in the 3rd or 4th memory slot... I even load the Sata driver for the 680i included in the latest nforce driver package. (15.08)

Yesterday I tried to reinstall Windows XPSP2. All my tries were corrupt...I have never had so many error messages during XP installation telling me that "this or that file is missing or became corrupted...".

I'm very frustrated now because literally i can't use my new computer... I can't install Win XP or Vista on it. I'm having a very hard time with this Nvidia 680i chipset...

If any of you guys have the same Mobo and can tell me any tips on how to install Vista or XP i would be very grateful!!!

By the way my system specs. are the following:

ASUS Extreme Sucker mobo
E6850@3.00Ghz
2*1GB or 2*2GB Corsair TwinX 800Mhz
ASUS EN8800 Ultra
Creative SB Xfi Xtreme Gamer
FSP BlueStorm 800W PSU
500GB WesternDigital 7200rpm Sata2
Floppy
Plextor 716A (IDE) DVD-RAM

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
sounds like PEBCAK.
luckily it looks like you have another computer.
if you don't have a disk to install the western digital hdd, you can go on the website and dowload an ISO of the cd to install the hdd (if you bought an oem it probably didnt come with one).
so burn that disk and then boot to it and use it to format the hdd.
i have had a similar issue and doing this resolved it.

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Firetatoo what is PEBCAK?
Yes i bought a Western Digital 500Gb 7200rpm SATA2... How can i install the HDD if i cant even install any operation system? BTW yes i got the HDD OEM...

kuniskos

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Good. My own 680i based build (just like yours in all major respects) had problems until I got rid of the IDE drive. Very little cost, and the SATA DVD drive eliminated all my problems.

Just to be clear, I'd suggest you not even use the IDE drive in your build.

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

you boot to the disk you burn from the ISO you download.
boot to it just like you were trying to install windows, it is a bootable disk.
you will of course have to burn it with another computer first.
boot to it.
read.
follow the directions to complete the desired task.
then remove that disk and begin windows install.

Shagohod

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
well
did you check the SATA cable yet?
maybe u should replace it with the other one or change the SATA port on mobo too...
just my opinion :p

halcyon

Splendid
I have a Striker Extreme, 5 SATA HDDs, 1 SATA DVD Burner, and 1 IDE Burner. ...never had any trouble with using IDE....

Okay, I didn't read all the above posts so forgive me if I'm restating what's already been said.

The first thing I'd recommend is that if you're currently attempting an overclock, trash that that until you're stable at defaults. I know I didn't need to say but I'm erring on the side of caution.

Um, what bios are you using...I had trouble with 1502 and 1503 (overclocking, that is) and rolled back to 1305.

The Striker Extreme's bios is no joke ...and I plan to stay with Asus' high-end because its only getting better. ...but be careful in there.

I'd also recommend looking at your RAM situation

Good Hunting.

Shagohod

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006

so... what really cause the problem anyway?
just let other know so they can solve the problem too.

ASUS + Corsair = HORROR

halcyon

Splendid

Well, that may or may not be true.

I've used a lot of Corsair in my Asus builds and have had some...uh, let's call them...challenges. ...but nothing I couldn't work out...no bad RAM that I know of. There was probably some PEBCAK. However, I'm currently running 8GB of Corsair with a eentsy weentsy overclock to 860Mhz on this Striker Extreme...and the lot of them flow steady. I'm getting ready to rebuild and place the same RAM in my new ( :wahoo: ) Rampage Formula and will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Well yeah, like my ASUS P5B Deluxe/Wifi - It decided to run my XMS2-6400 C5's @ 4-4-4-12, nothing a little voltage couldnt fix, but at the end of the day, manual configuration is the best way - knowing that its running right (5-5-5-18).

On the other hand there are noobs that cant figure out why there system isnt working ;)

Out of interest, has anyone overclocked the XMS2-6400 C5's? mines always been at stock (mhz) speeds...

halcyon

Splendid

Yeah, I've actually got the XMS2-6400 C5 DHX...8GB of it, overclocked currently to the, aforementioned, 860Mhz. If your MB decided to run your RAM @ 4-4-4-12 you should've considered yourself lucky...and left it there, eh? I'm running my 6400 C5's @ 5-5-5-12.