Q6600 overclock wall

G

I have a Q6600 and just cannot get past a 3.2 GHs overclock stable. VID is 1.325 the worst i know. vcore is currently 1.4875v, memory 2.1 v, north bridge is 1.4, southbridge is 1.55. i have a 780i EVGA motherboard. 4 Gb Corsair Dominator set to expert so i don't have to mess with timings. my system just requires alot of voltage. to get to 3.4 GHz i have to go past 1.51v and there is no way my system can handle the heat, even though i have a Zalman 8700 CPU cooler. Any suggestions.

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I have a Q6600 and just cannot get past a 3.2 GHs overclock stable. VID is 1.325 the worst i know. vcore is currently 1.4875v, memory 2.1 v, north bridge is 1.4, southbridge is 1.55. i have a 780i EVGA motherboard. 4 Gb Corsair Dominator set to expert so i don't have to mess with timings. my system just requires alot of voltage. to get to 3.4 GHz i have to go past 1.51v and there is no way my system can handle the heat, even though i have a Zalman 8700 CPU cooler. Any suggestions.

It's difficult for my Q6600 B3 to get past 3.2 too. Aside from getting another Q6600 (GO) there's not much you can do. I have gone from a Ultra 120 Extreme to water cooling and it doesn't help much. The max I've run it daily was 3.46. I had to put a lot of voltage through it to get there. Heat was in the 80c's.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
i'm having the same issue, same vid. it's just not that great an overclocker. I had a lower vid q6600 and it went to 3.6 easily. unfortunately i sold it. luck o the draw, my friend

acid

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
i'm having q6600 just like your,i stabled it at 3.6 by setting the cpu volt in bios to 1.60,but you better watch your temps with this voltage.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
That's strange, I have a 1.3125 VID q6600, which isn't the highest, but almost there. It runs at 3.6ghz on 1.45vcore prime95 stable at 58C max load. At 4ghz, it needs 1.65vcore to be stable, 69C max load.

Maybe it's the motherboard? You should try turning on loadline calibration to decrease vdroop.

I've got a Q6600 on an XFX 680i LT SLI board. Apparently these mobo's are crap for OC'ing quads from what I hear on Tom's. Anyhow, I had the thing OC'd to 3.2Ghz for a couple days without problems. Then suddenly it won't stay stable at any OC.

Used to run XP 64, now I"m running Vista 64 and haven't tried to OC yet since OS change. Wonder if that'll affect anything.

Kind of stinks though, cause I can't seem to get a stable OC to save my life. I keep hearing folks talking about Loadline Calibration lately, dont' think my 680i board has an option for that...?

G

i appreciate all the help fellas. that loadline calibration sounds good but have never seen that in BIOS, i guess it isn't available. i think i just got luck of draw and should be happy with 3.2 OC. i can say to jerreece once you can't get a stable OC at all i hear you have to start OS over. so you should be able to get great new overclocks. once you train the chip to fail it usually keeps failing and clearing CMOS won't make a difference. But you new got new OS so go slow on the OC.

i appreciate all the help fellas. that loadline calibration sounds good but have never seen that in BIOS, i guess it isn't available. i think i just got luck of draw and should be happy with 3.2 OC. i can say to jerreece once you can't get a stable OC at all i hear you have to start OS over. so you should be able to get great new overclocks. once you train the chip to fail it usually keeps failing and clearing CMOS won't make a difference. But you new got new OS so go slow on the OC.

Never heard that before.

Being as I switched from XP64 to Vista64 I'm tempted to try OC'ing again anyways. As my instability issues were within Windows (rather than during POST). I'm curious to see if I can get anything to run.

*Fingers Crossed*