Sign in with
Your question

Moving SSD with my windows 7 install

Last response: in Windows 7
August 24, 2011 2:45:59 PM

I have a 320gb (255 free) drive and just purchased a 120gb SSD. I have external SATA -> USB bays and extra computers that can do the transferring. My windows partition is currently only 45gb.

The current 320gb drive has 4 partitions 2 of which are 10g+ recovery partitions I no longer want. (and can use the space now that im on a small drive)

The problem is i cant find a program out there that will do what i need.

Windows 7 built in backup will only image the exact partition sizes, meaning if i was going to a bigger drive that's fine i could resize after. but because im going to a smaller drive i cant even write the image to it.

Acronis this got me very close, it cloned the drive (including recovery partitions, but i planned on removed those afterwards) but failed to boot, i ran windows recovery to try and rebuild the boot sector but it wasn't able to.

how can i keep everything but switch drives?

the best thing i can think of now (and very sad) is to install a fresh copy of windows 7 than erase the install partition and copy over the install partition from the 320gb drive, and i have a strong suspicion this wont go smoothly.

ideas?
thanks,
-aPeg
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2011 3:13:01 PM

Backup all the data and install from fresh, i know its a pain.

Also update the firmware of the ssd also before your install
m
l
August 24, 2011 3:24:05 PM

fowang said:
Backup all the data and install from fresh, i know its a pain.

Also update the firmware of the ssd also before your install

there is 2 many little crap programs that have been installed, settings... its way too much of a pain.

i miss win98 and its boot.ini file lol

-aPeg
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2011 3:25:48 PM

win 7 still has the boot.ini ;) 
m
l
August 24, 2011 3:41:57 PM

Ghost should do what you want (I think there is a 30 day trial). A lot of old imaging systems have an issues with making the drive bootable.
m
l
August 24, 2011 3:52:02 PM

Great info guys, im going to try boot manager first and work my way to Ghost if im not having any luck.

Thanks
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2011 4:00:55 PM

Its an easy tool to use but an easy tool to f up with too, watch what your doing with it.
m
l
!