On-board sound

GazJ03

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I've recently put together a system from scratch. Everthing works aside from the audio. Nothing is listed when i go to control panel and then "Sound and audio devices". The drop-down list is greyed out.

The spec:

MB: Asus P5KPL-VM
CPU : INTEL 2 QUAD q6600 @ 2.40Ghz
MEM : 2 x 2gb DDR2
HD : 150GB
etc

I've tried everything I can find on google.

Deleting everthing under the Sound, Video and game controllers and restarting
Flashing the BIOS
Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers with the mobo disk.

All i was getting is an unknown device being found under the category "other"
I then tried going into that and updating its driver manually. I even resorted to assigning it an old AC'97 Audio driver which has now moved the device under sound but still no sound and no device listed when I go into Control panel and Sound and audio devices

What is my next step.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP. I've spent last night and most of today trying things.

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Have you gone to Asus' support site and downloaded the latest audio drivers for your motherboard?

Go here http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Select:
- Motherboard
- Socket 775
- P5KPL-VM

Then pick your operating system located in the drop down menu on the right. Select WinXP.

Click the + sign with Audio next to it and pick the latest driver. Version 5.10.0.5506 appears to be the latest.

Did the audio work before you installed SP3?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Is your onboard audio enabled in the bios? It's usually enabled by default in the bios but wouldn't hurt to take a look.

Also, sp3 is still a beta is it not? I would try as a last resort to re-install you xp pro but only sp2 then chipset drivers, audio,video,etc.....

Does that board have the soundmax digital audio?

GazJ03

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Many thanks for such a quick reply.

I have downloaded the audio drivers yes. It is 100% new build so it's never operated.

GazJ03

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008

Thankyou also for your reply. I'm not sure about sp3 to be honest. Didnt realise it was beta if it is.

I have checked its enabled. Under Audio controller, Azalia is selected. Under front panel support type HD Audio is selected rather than AC97 but i have tried both.

I dont know about the soundmax digital audio. Its the following :

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1772&l1=3&l2=11&l3=563&l4=0

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
No, it has Realtek HD Audio.

And yes, as far as I know SP3 hasn't released as a finalized version. You probably installed a Beta version or a RC version. If all else fails, which it looks like, I would suggest uninstalling SP3 and then installing SP2 in its place. Wait for the finalized SP3 version to come out before installing SP3.

GazJ03

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I've found a directory C\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\

Which i assume has been installed from my mobo disk when i installed the drivers for the audio

However, none of the files here will run when clicked. e.g.

Alcmtr
AlcWzrd
ChCfg
CPLUtl64
RTHDCPL
SoundMan
etc

they are all application.

My other problem now is the AC97 driver installed and now has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Its not the correct driver so i want to uninstall it. Whenever i choose to do this though the system locks.

GazJ03

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Can i uninstall a sp without uninstalling the whole of windows? I installed sp3 initially from a "streamlined" installation disk.

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
**Note** The driver from the motherboard disk isn't usually the latest audio driver. Your better off downloading the latest one from the support site that I linked in my prior post.

Try uninstalling the driver from the hardware manager or see if its in the Add/Remove Programs list and remove it from there. If your PC locks up from both of those. Try booting into Safe Mode and uninstalling the driver from there.

Yes you can uninstall SP3 without completely removing windows. The SP3 uninstall should be located in the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. Search the program listing for Service Pack 3 and remove it.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
If andys steps don't work bring up the device manager while still in "safemode" and remove the ac97 device don't reboot yet as this will re-install the ac97 device. Next repeat what andy said above.

GazJ03

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Right, i'm getting there now. SP3 isn't naitively supportive of HD Audio. The hotfixes don't work automatically.

I've manually unpacked the kb888111 update and used these drivers.

It now properly installs the drivers. I have Realtek HD Audio listed in device manager BUT

Still no sound device in the Sound & Audio Devices.

AND

i have three things with yellow exclamations

Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler
Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetablel Synthesizer
Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer

Maybe i removed something i shouldnt in the begining when i tried removing everything under the sound, video and games controllers to try to get it to reinstall everything.

I'l try the realtek website now.

Thanks again everyone

GazJ03

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I've looked under properties and it says

"Windows cannnot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)"

I've tried disabling & uninstalling the problem items but they just reappear the same as before.

GazJ03

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Last update:
I've got it now so theres no yellow exclamations. But still no device under sound and audio devices.

When i click volume it says there's no active mixer device available.

I've had enough of this prob. I'm going to bed. Unless any great person can think of anything (which would be fantastic) i'l format the whole thing and restart with sp2 where theres a 100% working patch for hd audio.

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Chances are the combination of installing the incorrect drivers (AC'97) and then the possibility that you removed audio options you shouldn't have, are creating an awkward situation/problem for you to solve with some critical operational files/drivers within windows. The way I see it, you have three options:

1) You can fiddle around with it some more trying to uninstall and clean out the drivers and reinstall the proper ones with the hopes that by chance you might stumble on the solution to solve the problem.

2) You can conduct some google searches in hopes that other people have had similar problems and there are known solutions on the internet somewhere.

3) You can reformat and reinstall Window XP with SP2. This is an absolute solution, for it should definitely work after this as long as you conduct the setup and driver installations properly. If it doesn't work after that, it means either there is something wrong with your speakers/headphones (maybe they aren't being configured properly in windows or there is something physically wrong) or there is something wrong with your onboard sound (you then should consider RMAing the board).

Good luck.