Sign in with
Your question

Help Request - 8800gt issues in new build

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2008 3:05:26 PM

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster - I apologize up front for any mistakes I'm likely to be making here...

So, in my new build I've got the following:

CPU: q6600 @ 3.1 (may go higher later)
MB: Gigabyte P35-DS4
Vid; EVGA 8800gt SC
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000w
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800 ocz Reaper

My problem is that my video card is under performing horribly...As in 3 FPS in Crysis on high settings, and Oblivion looks worse than on my old Athlon XP. I don't even finish the 3dmark graphics test because it runs between 2-5 fps. My Vista performance index is like 3.5...Don't know how good or bad that is, but graphics is listed as my lowest performer which just doesn't seem right.

I've searched for the answer all around and have seen people with this problem posted, but with no solutions.

So far, I've updated all BIOSs, and installed Hotfixes which appeared to be relevant. I re-seated the board, and tried all the various power connections available with the PSU, including using the molex splitter that came with the card. Several different NV drivers have been tried to no effect (including the newest beta).

Nothing has worked. The system is stable, but the graphics are still unbelievably slow.

It's been suggested by many in other forums that it's a PSU problem, but I just don't see that being the case. The system is crazy stable (love those q6600s), and those comments were generally on threads with people using generic weak PSUs, plus nobody ever said they fixed the problem that way. Also, I originally didn't plug in the PCI-e molex on the MB (the manual said it was only for 2 video cards? - blame me for reading the manual), and the NVidia driver would report that there wasn't enough power for the video card. When I plugged the additional power into the MB, it stopped complaining about power, so I'm assuming I'd still be getting alerts if it was a power issue.

I'm thinking its the video card or the motherboard, but I don't have access to any other parts that would allow me eliminate one or the other. However, seeing people post this problem so often makes me think there's just an occasional defect with the 8800gt.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any input - particularly if anyone has seen a resolution to the problem. I'm about to RMA the video card, but if someone can point me definitively to another component then I don't want to waste my time.

Thanks in advance

SL
January 18, 2008 3:10:47 PM

Oh - one more thing...I verified through several different utilities that the card is connected at x16, which was also a common question to other posters with the same problem...

SL
!