Trouble shooting My OClock

dulvalius

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
Hey Guys!

First time subscriber here. Never posted on Toms befor but been a fan of this site for information and reviews for all the up coming stuff for a while now.

Anyhow, Here is my problem. I recenly put a build together about 2-3 months ago. And first thing I did was of course OCing it. I had my troubles with stability etc; but after about 2 weeks I got it running Great! 12 hours of prime stable, 8 hours of memtest stable. All my games ran great no hick ups or anything !

Now one day I started it up and I was getting random lock ups in vista. It just started happening with no warning! seem to lock up at anytime from 2 mins in to 10 mins in. once I got a blue screen with a whole bunch of jibberish on it....I couldnt read all of it becasue it rebooted to fast. However I went into my BIOS and put everything bakc to stock. Computer runs find.

However, I tryed doing some of my settings back again and now it just gives me a black screen upon start up and I have to reset and clear my CMOS to get back to the BIOS. I mean the littlest change in my BIOS like upping voltage on ram, or changing ram timeings or changing just CPU voltage and clock multiplyers with the FSB speed etc; Everytime , doesnt matter how little of the change is I get a black screen when I boot up, and about 5 secs in the computer will turn off, start up, black screen , turn off, start up and just hang...my monitor wont even turn on.

Now everything is up to par. BIOS drivers, V card Driver, and befor I never had this problem changing anything in my BIOS.

Im thinking its my PSU not keeping up with all the + to voltages anymore? Thats my only guess.

my stuff:
Q6600 2.4 @ 3.0
1.33 voltage, V-droop was at 1.28 volts according to CPU-Z
9x by 333 fsb,
4 gigs (2x2gigs) ballistix ram 4-4-4-12 at 2.2v
I had my ram at 1000 mghz (500) at 5-5-5-15
ram over voltage was set: +0.4 (1.8 default +0.4 = 2.2)
Zephry 650 watt PSU (I think is the culpret)
EVGA 8800 GTS V-card
WD 500 gig HDD
Lite on combo drive dual layer DVD/CD all that stuff (sata)
cordless logitec mouse keyboard combo.
onboard sound

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard
Bios settings are:
PCI-Exprees set at : 100
FSB Over voltage : +0.1
MCH over voltage : +0.1
ram settings : stated above
all my smart fan controls are disable as for my turbo mode and that stuff.

Currently everything is at defualt as I write this post of course.

dulvalius

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
1000Mhz is an incorrect ratio of 1:3.

??.

quick update, Its gotten alot worst...now even if everything is stock in the BIOS just like out of the box, it starts to lock up even at post screen and takes a lot of resets to get it even at the vista loading bar and 99% of time locks up there. Sometimes doesnt even start up just black screen.

What I did this morning however I took out one of my sticks of 2 g crucial ram and been running on the 1 stick of 2gb in DIMM slot 1. I had it running in Vista like this and was able to OC it all back to where it was except I kept the ram stock. I did not OCed the RAM. and it ran fine in vista for the 10 mins I was able to test it.....becuase I had to goto work.

Will check on it later tonight and see maybe if its the ram stick or possibly that DIMM slot?? duno....

johoz

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
reset the bios by moving that tab on your motherboard from one and two to two and three.
if you don't know what i'm talking about, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what motherboard do you got

dulvalius

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
well I came back from work and its been on fro about 4 hours at idle at my desktop and no lock up yet. Sooooo Im gonna test more on the RAMM idea. Either that stick is bad or the DIMM slot is bad.

reset the bios by moving that tab on your motherboard

Ive done that already alot of times to get it to boot up. clear the Cmos. Ive tryed the "taking out the battery for 5 mins " also and still. So im gonna trouble shoot my Ram some more.

dulvalius

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
Chalk one up for the Cruicial!

I put my one stick of 2 gig ram module in each DIMM slot on my mobo and my PC worked fine each slot... then took it out and switch with the other stick and bang, black screen..wouldnt post, nada. bad 2 gig ram module -( that sucks......

gotta go shopping for another stick..