Missing operating system vista

techman4life

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
After using Acronis 2010 to make an image of a sata drive (80GB). I attempted to restore the image to a 120GB Solid State drive. After the 1st log on the device driver updates and on reboot I get "Missing Operating System". Both are SATA drives, need help on why this is happening.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
You could try loading your OS cd and attempting to repair the system... just hope its a few files that have gone missing.

Boot from the cd.. follow the prompts until you can select a repair option..

If you dont have the OS cd tell me your Version of windows and ill find you the .iso download link.

techman4life

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

I have the OS CD, I went in and long story short had to use Live boot Repair and Utilities CD 2012 to fix the MBR. Since there was only one disc it did the repair and now Vista is running on the solid state drive.

For the record I have to state that the Windows Vista repair utility wiped out the boot record, I had to use Acronis to put the image back on the solid state drive and then use the repair utility to fix the MBR on the disc.

I hope that wasn't too confusing....but thanks for pointing me towards repairing instead of replacing an expensive solid state drive.

techman4life

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Update, found out that it was a problem with the OCZ sata drive and Vista. There was a "drv.sys" that appeared after first login. the image would take load the desktop once and then on the next reboot, it would blue screen with the "drv.sys" error. Switched to a different manufacturer and the image worked just fine.

techman4life

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Thanks for that suggestion, but the problem turned out to be a driver issue. Searched OCZ and Microsoft and found there was a known issue (unknown to me) with this particular manufacturer of SSD and the vista OS. Changing to a different brand resolved the issue.