Need some help please guys!!

mo3

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
So heres the deal, I just got all my parts this morning and i was totally pumped to get this puppy going...So i start building, while wearing an ankle grounder, and as soon as im done my tiring and hard work, I flick it on and LEDs light up, fans run...for about a split second or so. I thought maybe I didn't plug something in correctly or I was missing something. I have been trying and playing around with everything for about 3 hours now and still im scracthing my head. Mind you all this is my first build so i probably did something extremely stupid or obvious and I didn't even realize it. My specs are:
-Intel quad core Q6600
-Asus P5K-E-WIFI-AP
-OCZ 4GB Kit DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC C4 Edition
-Antec 900 chassis
-XFX Geforce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition XXX
-LG Disk drive
-500GB Seagate SATAII 16mb cache
-Arctic cooler pro 7
-OCZ GameXStream 600W Power Supply

Please help me, I really wanna get this thing going and play COD4, crysis, etc., etc...

akhilles

Splendid
If the pc powers on for a split second & powers off immediately, I would suspect the CPU cooler. Double check the cpu fan connection & heatsink install. Freezer is a breeze to install. I don't think you made a mistake. Maybe wrong polarity of the cpu fan cable:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012074.htm

Pins:
1 = red
2 = black
3 = yellow
4 = N/A

Make sure the 8-pin cpu, 24-pin mobo & 6-pin gpu power cables are plugged in:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/asus-p5k/p3.jpg

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Also check that your mobo is properly mounted using the stand-offs and that no parts of the motherboard are touching the case where it shouldn't.

mo3

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Alright will do, going to check all those suggestions, thanks guys. Will post a response as soon as i see what happens.

mdalli

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
CPU cooler? Very unlikely if we are truly talking about a "split second".

Standard troubleshooting technique: you must isolate the fault. Unplug your hard drive, unplug floppy, unplug a stick of RAM, and leave only the bare-bones necessary to POST. If the MB has onboard video, pull out the video card too.

Mainboard-to-ground short is definitely possible. Bad power supply, bad CPU, bad RAM are all possible, floppy connected incorrectly (and for that matter, why did you put a floppy in??).