can't access updates

My desktop, which has been faultlessly accessing Windows Update since I
bought it in September 2003, suddenly cannot access the page. It comes back
with a fault code of [Error number: 0x8DDD0004]. I cleaned out the temporary
internet files and turned off the download accelerator prior to accessing. I
closed Explorer and tried again and same result. My Windows XP is legit.
What the @*&%&!!$# is going on here?
12 answers Last reply
More about access updates

    "Software update incomplete" error message when you visit the Windows Update
    Web site
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319585

    WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3Pudnfvpa5YOknjfRVn-vA@magma.ca,
    Dave Gower <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> hunted and pecked:

    > "Software update incomplete" error message when you visit the Windows
    > Update
    > Web site
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319585
    >
    > WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Well the second one doesn't seem to apply, since I have none of these
    third-party packages. As to the first, I don't know what version of the XP
    operating system it's written for. It sure isn't mine. Not ONE of these sets
    of instructions precisely matches my XP menus. I found a work-around for the
    first three items, but the fourth ("remove Active-X controls") is impossible
    for me to perform as stated. Specifically, I have no "advanced options" on
    my "start, search" routine that allows me to include hidden files in the
    search. I implemented the first three recommendations and still the same
    problem.

    All versions of XP.

    Remove the Windows Update ActiveX controls
    1. Click Start, and then click Search.
    2. Click More Advanced Options, and then click to select the Search hidden
    files and folders check box.
    3. Type iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll, and then click Search.

    #3 instruction isn't very clear. You have to search for them
    *ONE AT A TIME*.

    You have to search for iuctl.dll then follow the rest of the instructions.
    Then search for iuengine.dll and follow the rest of the instructions. You
    cannot type iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll in the search box and find
    *ANYTHING*.

    4. If these files are found in your C:\Windows\System32\Dllcache folder,
    delete them.
    5. If these files are found in any folder other than C:\Windows\System32,
    delete them.
    6. After you have deleted all other copies of these files, delete them from
    the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
    7. If you are prompted to insert the Windows XP installation CD-ROM, click
    Cancel.

    Note You will download newer versions of the files from the Windows Update
    Web site.
    8. When you are prompted to answer if you want to keep the unrecognized file
    versions, click Yes.
    9. Visit the Windows Update Web site and install new copies of the ActiveX
    controls.
    -----

    When accessing the Update site, you receive the 0x8ddd0004 error
    Resolutions
    1. Accept the Windows Update ActiveX control when Internet Explorer asks if
    you want to download it.
    Important: To prevent security attacks, do not download a Windows Update
    control if it is not signed by Microsoft, or if Internet Explorer tells you
    that the control does not have a valid digital signature.

    2. Log on as an administrator for this computer.

    a. Click Start
    b. Click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.

    If you do not have an adminstrator account, ask one of the administrators
    listed to create one for you, and then log on using that account to visit
    Windows Update.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:LZOdnQdChPuEs3jfRVn-2g@magma.ca,
    Dave Gower <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >> "Software update incomplete" error message when you visit the Windows
    >> Update
    >> Web site
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319585
    >>
    >> WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Well the second one doesn't seem to apply, since I have none of these
    > third-party packages. As to the first, I don't know what version of the XP
    > operating system it's written for. It sure isn't mine. Not ONE of these
    > sets of instructions precisely matches my XP menus. I found a work-around
    > for the first three items, but the fourth ("remove Active-X controls") is
    > impossible for me to perform as stated. Specifically, I have no "advanced
    > options" on my "start, search" routine that allows me to include hidden
    > files in the search. I implemented the first three recommendations and
    > still the same problem.

    Hello, After you open "search" look for and click "all files and folders"
    near the bottom of the new window there should be "more advanced options".
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319585
    > >>
    > >> WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Well the second one doesn't seem to apply, since I have none of these
    > > third-party packages. As to the first, I don't know what version of the XP
    > > operating system it's written for. It sure isn't mine. Not ONE of these
    > > sets of instructions precisely matches my XP menus. I found a work-around
    > > for the first three items, but the fourth ("remove Active-X controls") is
    > > impossible for me to perform as stated. Specifically, I have no "advanced
    > > options" on my "start, search" routine that allows me to include hidden
    > > files in the search. I implemented the first three recommendations and

    Yes, there's been a lot of problems for users.

    The cause is apparently is Version 6 of Windows Update now called "microsoft
    update" conflicting with various firewalls (Zone Alarm is one in particular,
    there are problably others having the same problem)

    Turning off the firewall seems to solve the problem; but there's an issue
    with internet accelerators some users have found (for dialup connections);
    these need to be turned off when you try to access Windows Update web site.

    Make your way to microsoft.public.windowsupdates for more solutions &
    suggestions

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:57:24 +0800, Andrew Murray wrote:

    > Yes, there's been a lot of problems for users.
    >
    > The cause is apparently is Version 6 of Windows Update now called "microsoft
    > update" conflicting with various firewalls (Zone Alarm is one in particular,
    > there are problably others having the same problem)
    >
    > Turning off the firewall seems to solve the problem; but there's an issue
    > with internet accelerators some users have found (for dialup connections);
    > these need to be turned off when you try to access Windows Update web site.
    >
    > Make your way to microsoft.public.windowsupdates for more solutions &
    > suggestions

    Just a clarification: Both use version 6 but one must opt in to use
    Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    And a user can opt back out of MU.

    "beamish" <beamish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, After you open "search" look for and click "all files and folders"
    > near the bottom of the new window there should be "more advanced options".

    I checked this carefully. This is absolutely no "advanced options" items on
    my XP (see above post). All I get after hitting "files and folders" on my
    start/search is another box that requires I select from a list which
    contains the following items:

    pictures music or video
    documents
    files or folders
    computers or people
    followed by a picture of a puppy

    This has always annoyed me since it duplicates the items in the start menu.
    Could my XP be screwed up in some fundamental way?

    Dave,

    To search for a file or folder
    1. Click Start, and then click Search.
    2. Click All files and folders.

    Important
    If you do not see All files and folders, you have probably changed your
    default search behavior.
    1. Click Change preferences.
    2. Click Change files and folders search behavior.
    3. Click Standard, and then click OK.
    4. Click All files and folders.

    How To Configure the Search Companion in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307980

    How To Search for Files and Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308895

    If you do not see the All files and folders option, you may have changed
    your default search behavior. To configure the search companion, view the
    following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    How to Configure The Search Companion In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307980/EN-US

    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    [[SYMPTOMS
    After you install the MS04-011 security update on your Microsoft Windows
    XP-based computer, you cannot perform an advanced search for folders when
    you click Folder in the Type of file list. When you click Start, click
    Search, click All files and folders, click More advanced options, click
    Folder in the Type of file list, and then click Search, the search returns
    no results.
    WORKAROUND
    To work around this problem, click All Files and Folders in the Type of file
    list when you search for folders.]]
    From...
    MS04-011 security update on your Windows XP-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842306

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:i9OdnQyBkbJLyXvfRVn-jw@magma.ca,

    > All versions of XP.
    >
    > Remove the Windows Update ActiveX controls
    > 1. Click Start, and then click Search.
    > 2. Click More Advanced Options,

    I'm sorry but my version of XP does NOT have this menu item. All I see after
    "search" is a box with the following:
    for files and folders
    on the internet
    using microsoft outlook
    for people

    Now if I hit "files and folders" I do get a box which has a tools tab. If I
    hit that tab I can see a view tab. If I hit that then one of the items is
    "show hidden files and folders", which was already entered the last time I
    searched. It sounds like this accomplished the same thing, even though

    "Dave Gower" wrote:

    > > All versions of XP.
    > >
    > > Remove the Windows Update ActiveX controls
    > > 1. Click Start, and then click Search.
    > > 2. Click More Advanced Options,
    >
    > I'm sorry but my version of XP does NOT have this menu item. All I see after
    > "search" is a box with the following:
    > for files and folders
    > on the internet
    > using microsoft outlook
    > for people
    >
    > Now if I hit "files and folders" I do get a box which has a tools tab. If I
    > hit that tab I can see a view tab. If I hit that then one of the items is
    > "show hidden files and folders", which was already entered the last time I
    > searched. It sounds like this accomplished the same thing, even though
    >

    > Hello, As long as you arrived at the correct place. You could also view this using the "tools - folder options - and open the "view tab" and "show hidden files and folders" should have a mark next to the line.
    I have this unit set for "classical view" this may make a difference.
    If your basic update problem still avails, you might consider using the
    "update sites help function". I sent a e-mail (outlining my problem) to the
    Microsoft update site help and received a reply within 24 hours. The second
    on the list of possible solutions solved my problem.
    I sent a second e-mail confirming solution and received a second e-mail from
    the unit supervisor, then 24 hours later a follow-up e-mail from the tech.
    This instance provided very good follow-up from Microsoft.
    Hope your issue is resolved.
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    "Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Yes, there's been a lot of problems for users.
    >
    > The cause is apparently is Version 6 of Windows Update now called
    > "microsoft update" conflicting with various firewalls (Zone Alarm is one
    > in particular, there are problably others having the same problem)
    >
    > Turning off the firewall seems to solve the problem; but there's an issue
    > with internet accelerators some users have found (for dialup
    > connections); these need to be turned off when you try to access Windows
    > Update web site.

    As I mentioned I turned off my accelerator, and the only firewall I use is
    the one in XP. Do I turn that off too? (That would make me nervous).

Windows XP