TOUGH DECISION, Yeah! Right

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 12:24:15 AM

Hmmm... which one do I go for?

The Sapphire HD3870 for $249
Or the EVGA 8800GT for $249

TOUGH DECISION!

YEAH RIGHT!, this is even not a close decision. EVGA has now lowered the price of the Base 8800GT to $249 which is basically the MSRP for this card.

Who in their right mind would buy a Sapphire HD3870 seeing that EVGA's card is the same price and is backed by a lifetime warranty and a 90 day step up program? Plus take that big of a performance hit.

I think this is very good news because it means that all of the 3870 cards are probably about to drop to their MSRP of $219. and if the 3870s drop in price by $30 then I guess the 3850's will drop by almost the same amount too. Especially with the GeForce 9600GT coming in the middle of next month.

GPU prices are going to get really good really quick. Supply is catching up with demand. The next 30-60 days are going to be really exciting. It is going to be a good time to buy a video card.

More about : tough decision yeah

January 19, 2008 12:47:44 AM

Wait 10 years and then it'll really be a good time to buy a new vidcard.

Anyways I'm glad the price is dropping, long live competition!
January 19, 2008 12:49:06 AM

Well...you can actually find 3870s for $230, my friend bought on the other day, since the only 8800GT in stock at the time was $60 more. The cheap 8800GTs tend to be sold out, where as you can find 3870s close to the $220 MSRP price, the Gigabyte on has a Zalman cooler pre-installed and is only $230. Although it offers a bit less performance, it has a $20 price difference and a quiet cooler installed on it.
Related resources
January 19, 2008 12:55:19 AM

I do hope you are right, and I also hope that nvidia prices the 9600GT as cometetivly as they can, to pressure the market for a price cut in the VGA segment.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 1:02:15 AM

We will never know until the day comes but I think Nvidia is going to be very agressive with the pricing of the 9600GT.

Thus will likely motivate ATI to drop their prices to counter Nvidia's offering.

Things are going to get really good in the next month.
Anonymous
January 19, 2008 1:17:00 AM

Sweet news, good time to get my x-fire HD3870 going then. Glad I only bought one card at first.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 1:40:24 AM

rwayne said:
We will never know until the day comes but I think Nvidia is going to be very agressive with the pricing of the 9600GT.

Thus will likely motivate ATI to drop their prices to counter Nvidia's offering.

Things are going to get really good in the next month.

Agreed
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 2:13:47 AM

Anonymous said:
Sweet news, good time to get my x-fire HD3870 going then. Glad I only bought one card at first.

The 8800GT looks good however I have a X-Fire motherboard which makes the 38XX an option I still have to consider. I hope to run X-Fire one day. However I am not going to pay $249 for a 3870 which I can get a 8800GT for the same price.
January 19, 2008 2:46:57 AM

The real tough decision has always been, buy now, or wait for the next set of releases/price drops.
January 19, 2008 3:30:35 AM

Nice.

I think within 2 years of the first dual core gpu's coming out the affordable gfx card will be more than enough for most games.

Just like ~2 years after intel released the C2D. There are finally quad cores in the market with more gaming power than we need for a long time.

Gfx will move a little slowwer, but i hope AMD/ATI have a kickarse dual core gpu and give Nv a good fight.
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 4:18:23 AM

The HD 3870 costs $6.33 less (it has free shipping). It has a quieter cooler. It works well in Crossfire on X38 boards, beating the performance of 8800GT SLI in some benchmarks. 8800GT SLI requires a 680i or 780i board, which is not guaranteed to work with Penryn quads.

Yes, the 8800GT is faster than the HD 3870, but still, I don't think the choice is that obvious.

TBH I think the right choice will come down to whose drivers are better. I'm not very happy with the quality of nVidia's drivers, and ATI has problems too from what I hear.
January 19, 2008 5:03:47 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Wait 10 years and then it'll really be a good time to buy a new vidcard.

Anyways I'm glad the price is dropping, long live competition!

I might have to wait a couple of weeks after my income tax refund for prices to drop. It's expected on February 1st, and I'd hate to buy high and have prices drop a week later.

Looking through old Computer Gaming Worlds boxed in the closet, I saw an early 1996 ad for a screamin' PC right next to the Daggerfall review. It was a $2,000 486 gaming rig. Compared to that, today is a great time to buy. The amount of money I spent building a low end PC then gets me a midrange budget gamer's build today.

Will the desktop PC be around in 10 years? I'm talking about the architecture that's been around for over two decades. The way consoles are going, they could be as multiuse in the future as the home computers of the 80's. Will we all be using notebooks for productivity and consoles for games that are only rented via download? Or maybe my crystal ball's just broken!

a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 12:03:33 PM

When we all look back on this thread 5 years from now we are probably all going to be thinking how much the 8800GT SUCKS because GPU technology will be so much better then than it is now.

Did anyone see that Video review on Tom's Hardware about the slump of PC gaming?

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_ta...

It REALLY surprised me.

Said that Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare only sold 80,000 copies of the PC version where as over a 1.5 million copies was sold on the XBOX360 in the first month alone.

That blew me away.

They also said that Crysis sold less than 100,000 copies in it's first month.

I hope that yipsl is wrong about everything going to consoles in the future but based on the 2007 sales figures it appears that way.

They also mentioned about Software piracy. Which to me makes sense because if you are knowledgeable enough to build a gaming PC you can probably figure out how to burn an illegal copy of a game.

I don't pirate games. If you don't support the developers they are just going to stop producing for the PC. Every game I play is the original box version that I bought in store.

I really wish that new game Burnout Paradise was going to be available for the PC.

However I am still sticking with PC gaming. You can get the same titles for the PC for $39 to $49 that cost $59 on the XBOX 360
January 19, 2008 8:37:51 PM

Just wait till people start mass Pirating games for consoles.
Lol, u fight for NOD. "nod must aquire new lands"
January 19, 2008 8:55:34 PM

the way it looks to me, consoles are getting slightly closer to PC's with each generation as well.... compare the current gen ones with the previous ones - there are a lot of features there that would in the time of said previous gen consoles be the sole premise of a computer with an OS
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 9:50:32 PM

I like PCs much better.

You have the ability to upgrade your graphics instantly every 6 months if you really wanted to.

With a console you are stuck with the same level of graphics for 5,6,7 years or more.

That is unless of course your XBOX 360 or PS3 overheats and breaks down and is outside of it's warranty which is something you have no control over.

I love PCs and PC gaming. You have total control over every aspect of your machine and can mod it at any time.

As I said a next generation console is only released every 6 years or so on average.

How often do you people on the forum replace your video cards? Every 2 or 3 years I would guess? Maybe even annually. That is a huge advantage over consoles.

Besides....you can't run two Xbox 360s or PS3s in crossfire or SLI mode.

Advantage: PC
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 10:01:27 PM

aznstriker92 said:
Just wait till people start mass Pirating games for consoles.
Lol, u fight for NOD. "nod must aquire new lands"
NOD RAWKS! That is who I go to battle with.

I love their units too. The Venoms and Stealth Tanks kick butt!

January 19, 2008 11:20:44 PM

rwayne said:
How often do you people on the forum replace your video cards? Every 2 or 3 years I would guess? Maybe even annually. That is a huge advantage over consoles.

Here, most people are pc enthusiasts. So probably they replace their vid card every new series.
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 11:32:36 PM

One thing that helps PCs IMO is mods for games. For example I played Diablo 2 with 6 or 7 mods so far, and each looked and felt different :) 
January 20, 2008 12:25:23 AM

^^^^^ true that, i personally LOVE mods, source engine anyone :) 
January 20, 2008 1:56:58 AM

rwayne said:
When we all look back on this thread 5 years from now we are probably all going to be thinking how much the 8800GT SUCKS because GPU technology will be so much better then than it is now.

Did anyone see that Video review on Tom's Hardware about the slump of PC gaming?

It REALLY surprised me.

Said that Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare only sold 80,000 copies of the PC version where as over a 1.5 million copies was sold on the XBOX360 in the first month alone.

That blew me away.

I hope that yipsl is wrong about everything going to consoles in the future but based on the 2007 sales figures it appears that way.

They also mentioned about Software piracy. Which to me makes sense because if you are knowledgeable enough to build a gaming PC you can probably figure out how to burn an illegal copy of a game.

I don't pirate games. If you don't support the developers they are just going to stop producing for the PC. Every game I play is the original box version that I bought in store.

I really wish that new game Burnout Paradise was going to be available for the PC.

However I am still sticking with PC gaming. You can get the same titles for the PC for $39 to $49 that cost $59 on the XBOX 360

I am glad you brought this point up. While this issue is complex, I believe the high price of staying up with the latest video card technology is a contributing factor, especially when the cost of a top level video card exceeds the cost of a console. Many, including myself, just can't afford to "stay up" or maintain parity - this after buying two 8800 GTS 640s for two different boxes that after 6 months are now considered outdated. If you can't play the games "like they are meant to be played", you don't buy the games. And also there is the issue of having enough money left, after you buy the card, to buy the games - games that today may net 10 to 12 hours of gameplay at the most, with little replay value, and burdened down with DRM issues such as Sony's SecurROM trash.

Maybe the high price of "staying in the game" due to video card partner pricing schemes, the economics of supply and demand and vendor greed, and the lack of "value added" features in today's games, have all contributed to the sorry state of the PC video game segment. If (1) video card pricing schemes, (2) the lack of value added featues in games, (3) pirating (this is also having an impact), and (4) the counterproductive DRM strategies to prevent pirating that punish honest customers, are all contributing to reduction in video game sales...then what happens to nVidia and ATI/AMD when developers cease to produce original PC titles because of poor returns on develpment costs or only produce those "ported" from consoles?
January 20, 2008 2:09:50 AM

Its really a non issue for me, my current pc has lasted me a good 5ish years, and even today runs COD4 on Extra at 1024X768. I'm just gonna upgrade soon so i can do it all over again, although with technology going so fast i thin it might be 2 or 3 years instead of 5 this time.
January 20, 2008 2:12:34 AM

I replace my GPU every 8 months or so. Or if I already have something near high end I don't bother.

That said.. 8800 GT> HD3870. 9600 GT > HD3850 (from some marks I've seen).
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 3:00:31 AM

Those are some interesting points that ejay brought up.

I am not sure how much 'cost' factors in to it.

The average gamer is 30 years old which would lead you to believe that they would have some degree of money to invest in to a system.

Everyone has computers. XBOX 360 and PS3 owners have computers also.

Personally I think PC gaming is going to bounce back and is going to be on the increase.

Look at the World of Warcraft commercials on TV. I wonder how many new subscribers those TV spots pulled in with Mr. T and William Shatner.

If you look at some of the XPS systems that Dell is offering these days for around $1,000.00 or less with 2600XT, 8600GTS and 8800GT cards just for midrange computers. It is obvious that companies like DELL and HP are trying to get in to the GAME.

I think the pricing of PC games are very competitive. I was at Best Buy yesterday and saw the 2006 Game of the Year Company of Heroes on sale for $19.99. What a bargain!

The PC gaming industry has to go on. They are testing grounds for ATI & Nvidia. That is how they make their case when the time comes for major bids from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo for their next gen platforms. They all turn to PC benchmarks. PC gaming isn't going anywhere.
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 3:02:13 AM

cnumartyr said:
I replace my GPU every 8 months or so.

Dang. I envy you.
January 20, 2008 3:05:58 AM

rwayne said:
Dang. I envy you.

It's why I traditionally haven't invested in SLI or CF and probably won't even though I want to move to a bigger monitor.
January 20, 2008 3:34:46 AM

rwayne said:
NOD RAWKS! That is who I go to battle with.

I love their units too. The Venoms and Stealth Tanks kick butt!

Lol I personally go with GDI :love:  Preditor spam here. :kaola: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 12:07:28 PM

Gotta say i prety much agree with most of what has been said although im not to sure how much can be contributed to piracy, sure it goes on and i wont condone it but you can get pirated console games just as easily as you can pc games so i think its a pretty even playing field on that score and the companies are using it as an excuse for inflated prices.
I recon downloading has got to be the way forward but the price would have to be quite a bit cheaper than buying the game for it to take off properly.
The price thing really is the key here sure alot of the guys who game fit the 30 something with spare cash dermographic but a lot of us are either students or married as well and spare cash isnt that plentyfull.
When you start going into it and a new card costs half what you paid for the whole of your last system and everything else ie Monitors/CPU/RAM/MOBO'S and even HD TV'S seem to be coming down in price and the quality getting better you do have to wonder if a console would be cheaper/better as has been said it will last for years keeping up with the games and a PC wont.
Im sticking to PC gaming because i like the interface alot better than those controlers you get on consoles, I just feel somehow more involved. Just means that every 2/3 years i can run with all the bells and whistles and over the next 2/3 years the sliders go slowly to the left.
Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 12:45:25 PM

I am sure there is XBOX360 piracy also.

PS3 probably has ZERO piracy because
1. Very few people have a PS3 because they don't want to pay the money for it
2. Even fewer people have a Blu-ray Disc burner.

But I think that PC games would be pirated more because PC gamers as a whole are more computer savy then console users and would have more knowledge about how to successfully pirate a working copy of a game.

I think PC gaming though should appeal to everyone. To me it seems cheaper unless you are equiping your rig with $500 - $800 8800GTXs or GTX ultas.

An XBOX or PS3 has a processor, ram, hard drive, optical drive, fans, and a GPU.

If your computer already has those things then why pay for them again by getting a console?

I have a X1950GT video card in my PC which is built off of a variant of the R500 chip that is in the XBOX 360. The XBOX 360 is probably marginally better but I really can't tell a difference with the graphics on my PC. I got great game play and visuals.

And my X1950GT only costs $109 on Newegg right now. Much better than a $349 investment in an XBOX360 plus I don't have to pay for XBOX Live. I don't have to pay an extra $10 to $20 more for the same titles. And I have a 250GB hard drive which is far larger than an XBOX360's hard drive.

And if I want to nearly double my performance all I have to do is crossfire my card for another $109.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 1:08:02 PM

Its not about being computer savy its about the bloke who comes around the bars and clubs with a bag full of cd's/dvd's pc games and 360 games your probably right about the PS3 though.
If you have a decent Motherboard, Power supply and CPU, Then yes just upgrading the GPU is by far the most sensable option and you will get better picture quality. On a side note. Another thing that seems to be taken for granted is the tv set to play the console on, I guess a lot of people may have 2 big screen tvs but i dont and so a console would mean taking over the main tv in the house which isnt practicle.
There are however a lot of people out there still on AGP and it would seem madness for these people if they already have a SM3 card like a 7600/1650/ to bother upgrading to another AGP card,(yes I know some just have to because they cant afford the full upgrade) These are the people who may decide to go to consoles.
Im in the uk and the pricing here is £350 for a decent 360 pack with 3/4 games/controlers etc. A new computer would cost somewhere in the area of £750-£850 and thats for a middle of the road rig that may or may not keep up for a year.or two.
So you can see if its just a quick upgrade is not an issue but when you get to th epoint of needing a new one you have to ask yourself if the extra outlay is worth it.
Double the performance in crossfire ??? Come on you know better than that Dont you ? ;) 
Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 1:12:32 PM

I said "NEARLY" Double. I know it is not 100% faster.

ATI and Nvidia's sites claim increases of up to 80%.

I can not speak from experience because I have never done SLI or XFire before.

I know in some situtations it is quite a bit less.
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 1:32:00 PM

Quote:
double performance is acheivable, as long as crossfire works with a game and the game can stress the cards enough, more stress = bigger relative gains.

Yep, same goes for SLI. MINIMUM frame rate is the number that you want to keep as high as possible.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 2:59:01 PM

Oh i know its acheivable but in real world terms as RWayne says some times its quite a bit less.
I would go as far as to say that in most cases it would be less, but again as with every thing in computing there are so many variables to work with that putting any hard and fast rules/figures to it is impossable.
All i know is i have never seen a graph showing such increases most reviews i have seen seem to show a gain of around 60%, bearing in mind that reviewers tend to use top of the line systems when reviewing i would expect most people to see less of an increase.
Mactronix
January 20, 2008 3:30:25 PM

rwayne said:

It REALLY surprised me.

That blew me away.

Problem is not that people are pirating pc games the problem is number of games being released has drastically dropped any good game is 1st person shooter the market has changed.

Most adults want rpg's or rts or adventure everyone i talk to is not interested in stuff like crysis or cod4 you will find when a good rpg or rts is released it sells alot, the devs need to release good quality games most pc games are released in a half finished state thats what killed the pc game industry.

January 20, 2008 3:35:16 PM

@the thought of consoles taking over...
I can't see how an open ended product (pc) will fall to a stagnant one (console); at least until the consoles become open ended. I think you'l see the rise of PC gaming in a year or two just before the next gen consoles arrive. This happened back in, what, 2000? PS2/Cube/and the upcomming XBox took a chunk from the PC, DX9 appeared and consolers dropped a jaw. Around and around we go.
January 20, 2008 3:57:33 PM

rwayne said:

I don't pirate games either. We do have consoles (PS, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube) and we'll get a PS2 in a few weeks when I also upgrade our PC's. We play Sony consoles because of Japanese RPGs that do not make it to the PC (which ones do? FF online, and FFVII and FFVIII, that's it). We'll get a PS 3 when there are enough JRPG's and the price drops to under $200.

We hate things like Starforce and other restrictive schemes that affect our PC's legitimate use in burning data backups and TV shows recorded with an ATI TV Wonder 650. Secure Rom isn't as bad, but is irritating enough because we have basic DVD ROM drives and get the message to use a genuine disk.

It's happened with Heroes V on my wife's PC and Fate on our son's. Most of the time, just trying again works, but not always. We've had to go out and buy newer drives that work with these meshugge anti-piracy schemes, and DVD ROM drives are cheap. What happens when games are on Bluray?

Sony says the PS4 won't have media, and I think that's the way PC gaming will go too. We'll all have broadband with Steam style accounts and we'll download our games with verification akin to Microsoft's "Genuinely Disadvantaged Because You're a Good Customer" program. Everytime we play, we'll be treated like we can't be trusted.

I live in here in the U.S. and we aren't used to cameras all over the place like Britain, but I really think we'll be in for a sort of mild Big Brother society where it's not a party or religion that monitors what we all do, but the companies that contribute to the politician's campaigns. As long as it doesn't get as bad as "The Space Merchants" (really classic SF from the 60's), then it will be bearable.

After all, I want corporations to succeed and make profits so they can employ people in life enhancing jobs where everyone's in a win-win situation. Were it not for piracy in China, Russia, Mexico, even Canada and Israel, then I think we would not see quite as much furor over DRM in music, games and television shows.

I do download unlicensed anime and I follow the fansubber's code. One Japanese company does not want their anime fansubbed, so it's not listed at Animesuki and we stopped getting it from another site once we heard. We will buy it when it reaches the U.S. Market. With Bluray having Japan and the U.S. in the same region, then we can buy anime that doesn't make it over here, and I think that fansubbing might die out (though I'm far from fluent in Japanese, so I really do like subbed and even enjoy watching dubbed after I've heard the original Japanese).

Let's all just buy and sell things via download and then maybe the companies won't get "steamed" about their customers quite so much, as they can't do anything about the real pirates in the more copyright law handicapped parts of the world.

ejay said:
I am glad you brought this point up. While this issue is complex, I believe the high price of staying up with the latest video card technology is a contributing factor, especially when the cost of a top level video card exceeds the cost of a console. Many, including myself, just can't afford to "stay up" or maintain parity - this after buying two 8800 GTS 640s for two different boxes that after 6 months are now considered outdated. If you can't play the games "like they are meant to be played", you don't buy the games. And also there is the issue of having enough money left, after you buy the card, to buy the games - games that today may net 10 to 12 hours of gameplay at the most, with little replay value, and burdened down with DRM issues such as Sony's SecurROM trash.

That's an issue. I'm replacing an X1650 Pro with a 3850 512 or 3870. I'm thinking of this one, though it has DDR3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm thinking of either replacing the 7600gs with an 8800gt or else just transferring the X2 4600+ CPU over to another 690G board and getting the same 3870 as above. The problem with the MSI K9N6SGM-V that actually has "chipset limitations" listed in the manual that says it doesn't support the X300 to X800 ATI cards. So I emailed MSI tech support and they said that it didn't support later ATI cards either. That's why I bought two 690G boards later on instead of going with a higher Nvidia chipset.

So, I'll either take the hassle of switching the CPU or just getting the cheapest 8800gt I can (it will have to be the 512 version, I won't consider 256 megs of RAM). Buying 3 cards so two adult gamers and one kid gamer can stay current? That takes a bite out of our income tax returns every 1 or 2 years.

Still, we buy both Sony and Nintendo consoles, but usually when they drop to below $200. No use getting a console when their aren't enough games we like for it, which is the case with the PS3 now. As for the Xbox 360, Microsoft gets enough of our money, the way they limit OS installs now.

I used to install one copy of Windows 98 on two PC's way back when. Now, because DX10 is limited to "Windows VE" (also known as Son of ME), we have two dual boots on ours and XP on our son's, plus a spare PC used mostly for a video conversion project (20 years of recorded off the TV VHS tapes converted to MPEG1 and then burned into data DVD's). I've spent around $400 on 2 OEM Windows Media Center 2005 and 2 Vista Home Premium 32 bit (wish I'd gotten 64 bit).

Then, there's the issue of CPU upgrades, not as crucial now, despite the hype. Even an X2 3800+ will run everything and if you have an LCD monitor that's 20" or so, it gets past the hurdle of CPU limited graphics cards.
January 20, 2008 4:31:24 PM

I'll agree with whatever yipsel said...

I'm surprised to see that you also download anime :p 
January 20, 2008 5:36:25 PM

The decline of PC gaming has happened more times than I can remember. Like has already been said because its an open format it just won't die. There are far to many people that will keep it alive. Look at the numbers for WOW. It has sold more copies around the world than any console game probably has. As for poor sales of Crysis what do they expect. The games is mediocre and does't run on anyones PC, and I'm not talking about us enthusiasts its your average joe's IGP not even playing at lowest settings. My housemates PC was running real slow (old P4) so I had a look at it and notice he only had 512mb ram and IGP so I recommended him another 2gb and a graphics card. He thought that he had to buy a whole new PC from Dell. The difference for him was night and day. We all know people like this. Instead of upgrading (£70) they think they have to buy a new system (£600) all for 1 game so they just don't bother.

Upgrading every 8 months. Whats the point in upgrading if your system doesn't seem/feel slow?

As for whether PC's are better than consoles I think they both have there strengths. I own a resonable PC but I also have:

Sega megadrive (deceased)
Sega Saturn (only recently deceased 10 years old getting a replacement at soome point)
N64 (played Goldeneye yesterday)
Sega Dreamcast
2x PS2 (One doesn't work so well)
Nintendo gamecube
Xbox
Nintendo Wii (first console I ever bought around the time of release)
Nintendo DS
Xbox 360 (when the prices come down)
PS3 (when I can pick one up for £100 and has decent games e.g GT5)

A lot of people on here call themselves hardcore gamers but will only play FPS's or RPG's. I have lots of consoles so I can play a huge variety of games. I don't even play games that often anymore but I like to have the choice to play the unique games that every different format can offer.
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2008 6:10:13 PM

As stated on Fudzilla a few days ago:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Infinity Ward shocked at PC COD 4 piracy rate:
Quote:
…wonder why there are no PC titles

Robert Bowling, the Community Relations Manager at Infinity Ward, was commenting in his blog that Infinity Ward pulled some numbers over the past week and they were shocked at the number of PC Call Of Duty 4 players that were playing the multiplayer version of the game using stolen, cracked or pirated CD keys. While Bowling did not release the exact number, in order to get his attention the number had to be very significant.

And now it is time for our soap box stump speech. Once again, we cannot stress the importance of not engaging in this kind of behavior! It harms the gaming community as a whole and it really makes PC developers just want to give up on the development of software for the PC platform and stick with console development, where the piracy rate is lower. Over the last couple of years we have seen some of the best developers stop producing games for the PC platform, and some have opted to wade into the less pirate infested console waters.

The bottom line is that games cost a lot of money to produce these days; if developers cannot recoup their investment, they are going to stop producing games for the PC platform. If you want to try something before you buy it, use the demo…don’t pirate the game. Developers deserve to be paid for their work. Think about that the next time you are considering using a hacked version of the game or a keygen to create a key to play the game, rather than buying it.

Read more on Bowling’s blog here.

January 20, 2008 6:45:47 PM

rwayne said:
As stated on Fudzilla a few days ago:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Infinity Ward shocked at PC COD 4 piracy rate:
Quote:
…wonder why there are no PC titles

Robert Bowling, the Community Relations Manager at Infinity Ward, was commenting in his blog that Infinity Ward pulled some numbers over the past week and they were shocked at the number of PC Call Of Duty 4 players that were playing the multiplayer version of the game using stolen, cracked or pirated CD keys. While Bowling did not release the exact number, in order to get his attention the number had to be very significant.

And now it is time for our soap box stump speech. Once again, we cannot stress the importance of not engaging in this kind of behavior! It harms the gaming community as a whole and it really makes PC developers just want to give up on the development of software for the PC platform and stick with console development, where the piracy rate is lower. Over the last couple of years we have seen some of the best developers stop producing games for the PC platform, and some have opted to wade into the less pirate infested console waters.

The bottom line is that games cost a lot of money to produce these days; if developers cannot recoup their investment, they are going to stop producing games for the PC platform. If you want to try something before you buy it, use the demo…don’t pirate the game. Developers deserve to be paid for their work. Think about that the next time you are considering using a hacked version of the game or a keygen to create a key to play the game, rather than buying it.

Read more on Bowling’s blog here.

Agreed.

I used to download them, and if it was good, I'd buy it.
Well that was wrong of me. :(  I'll never do that again.
January 20, 2008 6:48:46 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Agreed.

I used to download them, and if it was good, I'd buy it.
Well that was wrong of me. :(  I'll never do that again.

I use Demos or try to get into the Betas.

I think Stuff like Direct2Drive and Steam Distribution IS the future and will help prevent some piracy... I just hope it doesn't turn to the point that it punishes legit owners of games.
January 20, 2008 6:50:14 PM

cnumartyr said:
I use Demos or try to get into the Betas.

Demos just doesn't cut it... :kaola: 

Well, I just read reviews and listen to other people's opinion before buying now.
January 20, 2008 6:51:17 PM

I ordered a 3870 from best buy for $193.50, free shipping. Now that was a no brainer.
January 20, 2008 6:58:25 PM

LAN_deRf_HA said:
I ordered a 3870 from best buy for $193.50, free shipping. Now that was a no brainer.

The 8800GT 512MB was on sale for $70 at Frys...

Talk about no brainer...
January 20, 2008 7:03:36 PM

LAN_deRf_HA said:

Did you say Best Buy? :ange: 
January 20, 2008 7:15:47 PM

Evilonigiri said:
The 8800GT 512MB was on sale for $70 at Frys...

Talk about no brainer...

Is it still onsale?
I have 7 systems on my LAN (two years old) with 7900GT's that I payed only $180 for at the time (saved $700 on the builds back then).

PM me as I may not see this thread again.

Z
January 20, 2008 7:15:53 PM

cnumartyr said:
Did you say Best Buy? :ange: 

Is there something wrong with Best Buy, Honorary Poster? :D 
January 20, 2008 7:16:49 PM

ZOldDude said:
Is it still onsale?
I have 7 systems on my LAN (two years old) with 7900GT's that I payed only $180 for at the time (saved $700 on the builds back then).

PM me as I may not see this thread again.

Z

Nope.

Do I need to PM you still?
January 20, 2008 7:23:16 PM

Evilonigiri said:

Yea.. considering the law suit against them about pricing and blocking sites from inside their store..

Not to mention that they normally don't carry the best of the best, normally are overpriced, and the associates know less than the average person on Toms.. yea.. it can be bad.

I prefer Microcenters, Frys, and places like that... Best Buy to me would be like saying you shop at Wal-Mart for clothes to a Fashion Designer... is that a good metaphor? I shop at Target.
January 20, 2008 7:23:55 PM

Evilonigiri said:

Best Buy is owned by Rupert Murdoch who also owns Fox News and a truckload of other copanies. Given Murdoch's fasict ways I would rather -never- buy from any company he has any control of.

If you don't know who he is Google him,the people in AU/UK/USA his "free press" puts into office and his treatment of Ron Paul.
!