blackoutproject

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Hey, I've had my computer for about 4 years now and its getting a little dated, one of my friends has recently built a system from scratch and has bought 'Crysis' which I personally love. Sadly, my computer doesn't meet the requirements, so I was wondering whether any of you guys could assist me in choosing the right components I need to update, to meet the Recommended system requirements for Crysis.

My computer currently has the following specs (i don't know anything about computers so this might be a little set out wrong):

■512MB RAM
■3.0 gHz processor
■nVidia GeForce MX 4000

is that all you need?

Thanks a bunch, the cheapest prices would be best!

I live in the UK

blackoutproject

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Okay, i will do that when i get home tomorrow.

I am currently using my laptop. I run photoshop, adobe flash, my operating system is Windows XP Professional 64 bit.

EDIT: Right here is the stuff it came up with:

> Mainboard : MSI PT880 Neo-FSR (MS-7043)

> Chipset : VIA PT880

> Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 3000 MHz

> Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce4 MX 4000

> CD-Rom Drive : AOPEN CRW5232/AAO

> DVD-Rom Drive : IDE DVD-ROM 16X

> DVD-Rom Drive : QA4321W CYD830O SCSI CdRom Device

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (December 2005)

akhilles

Splendid
Recommended System Requirements
from Crytek and EA

OS - Windows XP / Vista
Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

As you can see, your system is too outdated to meet the requirements. The upgrade won't be cheap. It includes a cpu, mobo, ram, gpu & psu. It may cost 300-400 quid.

What's your budget in quid? Will the new upgrade be overclocked?

blackoutproject

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
300-400 pounds is a bit much, my budget is between 200-300 pounds, I don't really want to have to change the mobo, the things I don't mind changing include: RAM, GPU and the CPU. Could I manage to run it at high gfx, at about 1024 x 768 resolution? Without changing the PSU or mobo?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: What is overclocking?

akhilles

Splendid
The thing is you want to upgrade the pc to meet the recommended system requirements for Crysis, which require a Core 2 Duo which won't fit in your mobo.

Yes, your mobo can run 1024 x 768 & bigger resolutions, but your point is to run Crysis well?

You can try (no guarantee that it will run Crysis well) to upgrade the socket 478 cpu to the fastest one (s478 cpus run very hot - look up ebay & reputable UK sellers), a modern AGP 8x video card (Ati is releasing HD3850 AGP - keep an eye on this) and 3 GB RAM.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PT880_Neo-FSR

Google cpuz & install it on the pc to find out what speed of ram you're running. Then buy more of that speed of ram up to 3GB, your mobo's limit. I think it would be best if you get 3 x 1GB DDR2 400mhz if available, & sell the 512mb stick.

Overclocking is increasing the speed of a part beyond stock.

blackoutproject

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
okay, thanks a lot for your help, I might as well sell this pc and start over, maybe take it apart and sell the components, keep the case and fans.