Power switch on case does not turn on or off pc.

dirty red

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Power switch on case does not turn on or off pc. I've tried the reset switch on this case, the power switch from a different case, and turning the plug around with no luck. I tested all the switches with a voltmeter, all tested the same. So I assume the switches are good. The power button on the mobo works. I can turn it off with the power button on my keyboard (cheap GE keyboard) and on with any key on the keyboard (set in bios). I've tried different settings in bios and still nothing. I cleared cmos also. Everything is updated to my knowledge. Not a huge issue, just wondering what is wrong. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

mobo: IP35 PRO
cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
memory: Corsair Dominator 2x1 GB PC2 8500
TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
power supply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI
ATX12V 700W
graphics card: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS Extreme
640MB
hard drive: Western Digital Caviar 250GB
cd/dvd drive: Samsung SH-S203B
case: Rosewill R5601-BK
sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Assuming your physically jumping the correct pins and it still does not start up it, theres only 2 real possibilities. Either the power supply is getting the signal and not turning on and the power supply is dead, or the mother board is not sending the signal to the power supply and the motherboard is dead. You can try jumping the pins directly on the power supply to make sure it turns on. You can find the instructions for that online as I dont remember which pins off the top of my head.

EDIT: And now that I read the entire post I see the power supply does work, so it sounds like the mother board is not sending the power signal to the psu from the front panel connectors and the motherboard is bad.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If the power button on the board works, then you are either putting the case power switch on the wrong pair of pins or you have a faulty motherboard. Take a second look at the diagram in the moherboard manual.

Mike.

dirty red

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
I've triple checked the connections, all good. Other than the silly switch it works fine. I've emailed abit 2 weeks ago, no response yet. I'm gonna call them today and see what they say. REALLY don't want to take pc apart. Thanks again guys.

playmkr278

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
Is there any way to disable the power button on the GE keyboard? My little one is able to easily turn off the computer now.