I could use some advice on a new build

evaninspain

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I really want to build a new computer. I don’t have a compelling reason to do so, it’s just something that I want to do. I presume some of you on this forum can relate.

I am currently using a P4 2.4Ghz with 1.5GB RAM and a nice (though older) Motherboard and video card. I never play games on my computer (maybe I should). I really only use if to surf the web (50%), MS Office applications (20%), Photoshop (15%), CD/DVD copying (10%), Other (5%).

I would like to build a quiet PC, the fans in my current one make a bit too much noise. I would also like to try my first attempt at overclocking – just to get a bit more bang for my buck (I also think it will be fun)

Here is what I have so far:

-CASE
-DVD SAMSUNG SH-S203N SATA
-4 sticks of 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 HP DIMM (ordered yesterday)

Questions:
1) Should I get a E8400 next week, or wait a month or two for the Q9450 (remember, I don't use games)?
2) I was considering purchasing the quiet Arctic Freezer Pro 7. Will it work with these new chips?
3) Can someone suggest a silent DX10 video card for me (without a fan)? I presume I don’t need to spend a lot of money here since I don’t use games.
4) I was considering a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L/R (I still use and love my vintage HP 4P printer with a parallel printer cable) but I’m not sure this MB will work with the new CPU’s without a bios update, and I’m not sure how I would get a bios update unless I can get my computer working (catch 22). Does anyone have any other MB suggestions?
5) I am also debating between XP and Vista. And between 32 and 64 bit. Any suggestions?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

akhilles

Splendid
Actually, quads benefit general tasks cuz most games won't make use of multiple cores. Especially if you multitask a lot: you can burn a cd/dvd, browse the Web, watch idiot tube (youtube) & unzip a very large file all at the same time with no slowdown.

1) Hell, yes! I would & o/c this mofo to 4+ ghz.
2) Any socket 775 cpu cooler will work with all future socket 775 cpus.
3) Geforce 8500/8600 with a large heatsink.
4) DS3L/R have a printer port. Works out of the box. You need a driver for your OS.
5) It's a matter of personal preference. Me? 32-bit until Vista SP1 or 2. BTW, there's a hack called VAIO which runs Vista apps. It works on my family PC. I set it up to look identical to Vista, only it's 32-bit XP. Sidebar works perfect. I can't guarantee it'll work for everyone. My desktop looks identical to Leopard (latest OSX). I can run all the s*** old & new out there.