Monitor doesnt display anything!!

hershey101

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Hi, I have a problem where my monitor doesnt display anything, the motherboard seems to be working and is brand new. Everything from the CPU to Graphics Card and Hard Drives gets power and they spin, however the monitor says no analog input detected. This problem just suddenly occurred one day... Also the MoBo doesnt seem to recognize the usb inputs because my mouse isnt lighting up and neither is the transmitter for my wireless keyboard. This is a brand new desktop, i just built it a few months ago. Specs: Asus P5N32 Mobo, 200GB SATA HDD and a 250GB IDE HDD, EVGA 8800 GTX graphics card, QX 6800, 4 GB DDR2 667 RAM. If you have any comments or solutions please respond either on this or email me at hersh92@gmail.com, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Try the monitor on a different machine and a different video card. Try clearing the CMOS. If not that, check you RAM one stick at a time.

hershey101

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
thx... i already tried the monitor on a diff. machine. also i dont have another video card, dont no any low end cards that i can use for testing tht are cheap, welcome 2 suggestions. I read the CMOS thing elsewhere too, but im not too sure how to clear the CMOS

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

eh, he says he can't see anything, which probably means he cant even see POST. It could be something ridiculous, check your connections, inside and out, and try again :)

oops, too quick on the draw, missed that.

Yea, the monitor situation is probably just a symptom of no post which means a hardware problem. Clear CMOS, check all connections and be sure to take out the RAM and the video card and then re-seat them in the slots - something may have simply worked loose.

After that you may want to check the power supply and then the MOBO

hershey101

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
thanks for all of ur help... seems it was as simple as clearing CMOS and re fitting the graphics card... though i got past BIOS and it gave me a checksum error, but now im reinstalling OS... i really hope XP SP2 supports me better than Ultimate... anyway after the checksum error it gave me a blank screen, though was able to change the boot order from BIOS which allowed me to boot from CD. Can anyone tell me what caused the CMOS to get messed up and what should i do if the checksum error returns after i install the new OS?

Uh, you usually get a checksum error after CMOS reset I believe. It's normal. You created this situation with the CMOS reset. After going into BIOS and setting up things properly it goes away. Did you try making proper CMOS adjustments for CPU speed. RAM speed etc. and then just setting your boot hard drive as the first in the drive order? Your OS should have come back up ok after doing that.

So in sum - You probably had a loose video card seating and you fixed it and the checksum error was not really an error. :) I think you could have saved the OS install which was not even an issue.

Then again I could be missing something . . .

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
CMOS is the BIOS memory and clearing it will clear any BIOS error or conflict and reset the BIOS to the default settings. Unless you have continuous problems, they're really nothing to worry about. In the sh!t happens category of life

Jukes

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I am having the same problem. My kids computer seemed to lose the power supply after an outtage. Im not real computer hardware literate but went ahead replaced the power supply. Now the computer powers on ok, but the monitor is black when I attach it. I moved the monitor to another computer and it works fine. While the monitor is older, it is working and I am able to tell as it has a bit of a green hue when it is not plugged into the computer, but goes dark black when it is plugged in.

I am not sure how to go about clearing CMOS (or what CMOS would look like in the computer). I did refit the graphics card. Any thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS