Corsair 6400C4 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-18 ?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Their is a combination of keys to press for advanced options on gigabyte motherboards... think its CTRL + F10 or something , have to check with one of the other guys...

Im surprised it runs at 1.8v. My old OCZ 2.1v defaulted to 1.8v and wouldnt even load windows without getting errors. Definately set it to 2.1v, thats the recommended voltage.

Considering that 1.8v and 5-5-5-18 is the DDR2 standard there should be no issues. All DIMM's sold should be able to run at these spec otherwise it wouldnt mean the DDR2 JEDEC specs.

andrei3333

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
i have that same ram and gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l mobo

had the same issues with the timings and voltage, it ran fine on 5-5-5-18 at just over 1.837 V

i changed it to the advertised settings and see no difference in windows operation, since i changed thenm very soon and never had any gamrs installed by that time...over all the ram is wicked fast and is an excellent buy...it just friend my first board's bios when i changes the voltage (maybe i changed the wrong setting i duno but it would shut down and turn on every 5 seconds unless i turned the PSU off) so be carefull and read the manual before changing the voltage

also speedfan reading does not correspond to bios reading, so i trusted the bios reading more

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
If your going to OC you may want to boost the voltage but not change the timeings...the ram will do more Mhz @ the default 5.5.5.* than it will @ the 4.4.4.* settings...and a few extra million CPU cycles per sec more than take care of the extra timeing cycle.
People have had that ram run @ C3 but not very high in Mhz.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I don't think he/she is OCing. At any rate there will be very little real world performance gain anyway. Might look a little better in Sandra, that's all.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008

I'm using the same RAM module as you are, and the Mobo is ABiT iX38. Honestly I have the same problem with you, I was unable to change the setting to 4-4-4-12 on the BIOS. However I found this setting at corsair forum:

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5WD2 or M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe
Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz
DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz
PCI Express Freq: Auto
PCI Freq: 33.33
Performance Mode: Standard
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T
SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5
Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If it's Listed)
Command Rate: 2T
DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1
Advanced voltage control
CPU Vcore offset:_Disabled
DDR2 Termination: 0.5x
CPU to NB HT:____1.200V
NB to SB HT:_____AUTO
NB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO
SB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO
SB Standby core:_+1.500V

Output driver control
CKE:______AUTO
CS/ODT:__1.00X
ADD/CMD:_1.00X
MEMCLK:__1.00X
Chipset Core Voltage: Auto
All other settings are motherboard defaults.
Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

or find it yourself at: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=52351

I have not changed my setting yet due to my work, but hopefully it can help.

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

It's CTRL + F1. :ange:

andrei3333

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

i dont remember exactly now, i MAY have changed the wrong voltage setting by a noob mistake, i did +0.2 V on DDR18V option in bios i TIHNK...windows froze twice then it sais bios recovery (not in windows) and seemed to get stuck, i hit reboot, and ever since then it would turn on, for 3 seconds, fans spinning and all that, and then shut down

i had the mobo replaced unred warranty (less than 30 days from purchase) and it solved the issue, i think the bios got corrupted when it was revocering....i should have waited longer and it may have fixed itself.

i shorted the cmos jumpers after and took the battery out, no effect.

lesson, do not fcuk with bios if you dont know what you are doing

i did the settings properly on this new mobo and dont see any difference what so ever