Sign in with
Your question

HELP!!!!!! Is my processor bootlenecking my new 8800GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2008 2:09:23 PM

Guys,

Need some expert help!!!

I just bought a new BFG 8800GT OC 512mb but I can't get not even close to the 3DMark06 results posted in the Tom's Video Chats.

Here are my specs:

Athlon 4600X2 S939
MB Asus A8N-SLI
2gb DDR400 dual channel (4x512mb)
2x 80gb SATA Samsung in RAID0
1x 250gb SATA2 Samsung
1x CD-RW LG
1x DVD-RAM LG
SB X-FI Xgamer
PSU Hyper Type-R 580W Modular (SLI Certified)
All in Air/Stock Cooling
BFG 8800GT OC 512MB
Vista 32bit
nVidia Driver 169.28

Watching Tom's charts, 3DMark06 @ 1024x768 noAA, Trilinear is reaching 5359 in SM2 and 6023 in HDR/SM3 with the nearest card in the list.

My best results in my rig are near 3800 for SM2 and 4600 for SM3!!!!

I don't know what to do! I know that Tom's Rig for testing is better than mine is, but I wasn't expecting such a difference! Is my processor/mb/memory bootlenecking my card? Am I doing something wrong?

PLEASE! Give me some help! I'm stuck and I don't know what I will do to fix this...

By the way, I'm not sure if it's relevant or not, but I'm running 3DMark06 1.1.0 while Tom's charts are in 1.0.2...

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!!

VFMardegan
January 19, 2008 3:15:30 PM

Sorry, my bad... it's bottlenecking and not bootlenecking...
January 19, 2008 3:25:15 PM

3dmark06 includes a cpu test witch is a major part of your score...
thats why everyone is still using 3dmark05 ... it gives you a more accurate
score of what your card can do..
Related resources
January 19, 2008 3:45:14 PM

Thanks for the note skippyjojimbob. But I did not run the CPU test, these are only the GFX bench for SM2 and SM3 (my understanding... I might be wrong).

Don't know what to do... Maybe formatting the whole thing? Live with it? I'm desperate and clueless in this one...

January 19, 2008 3:53:42 PM

Since you just posted the SM2 and SM3 scores, I am apt to say that YOUR GPU, NOT CPU, is underperforming.

Likely causes:

* GPU fan is not working fast enough - use Rivatuner or maybe ATi Tool to increase fan speed.
* GPU fan is at full speed - poor case flow causes overheating.
* Bad drivers?
* Since you're using Vista, the Aero interface could lower your scores, I think....
* Other cases I can't think of right now.
a c 261 U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 3:56:52 PM

How is your system performing in the games you play? If it is doing well, don't worry about the benchmarks.
January 19, 2008 4:09:42 PM

My main concern is regarding Crysis and UT3.

I have seen many people playing Crysis in 1280x1024 on high settings DX10, some even with AA turned on... I am playing 1366x768, no AA, medium settings and still I get several slowdowns during play. If I turn some of the settings to high (shaders, objects detail, textures and sound) I am averaging 20-25...

UT3 maxxed out (no AA) in the same resolution has some major slowdowns during the game...

Given the posts that I've read about these games, I'm far away from what usually I could get...

Thanks,
a c 261 U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 4:21:11 PM

Turn on the performance monitor. Run the problem game, and when the problem happens, look at the performance history. If you see a very high cpu utilization, then the cpu is the culprit. Look also at the page fault rate for inadequate memory. Look at the hard drive response time stats. Raid-0 is generally not helpful for games.
Lastly, look for any other running tasks that might be interfering.
January 19, 2008 4:32:15 PM

Thanks geofelt,

Will try this now... Meanwhile, anyone with more ideas? Or a system similar to mine, so I can check if my scores are ok?

Thanks,
January 19, 2008 7:22:29 PM

VFMardegan said:
My main concern is regarding Crysis and UT3.

I have seen many people playing Crysis in 1280x1024 on high settings DX10, some even with AA turned on... I am playing 1366x768, no AA, medium settings and still I get several slowdowns during play. If I turn some of the settings to high (shaders, objects detail, textures and sound) I am averaging 20-25...

UT3 maxxed out (no AA) in the same resolution has some major slowdowns during the game...

Given the posts that I've read about these games, I'm far away from what usually I could get...

Thanks,

Well... Not all systems are built equally. Its hard to compare your performance to another persons because its apples and oranges. They might have the same video card but may also be running DDR2/3 memory, Core 2 Duo/Quad, and many systems may have been overclocked.

I have a Core 2 Quad Q6700 and 8800GT at stock frequencies but I can run Crysis (haven't played the entire demo yet) at 1280x1024 on all high. At 2xAA I definitely notice some drops in FPS but playable without AA its very playable so far pretty smooth for the most part. I dont know how many FPS I'm getting But literally I've only played the demo for about 10 mins so I can't really make a fair judgement.
January 19, 2008 8:09:17 PM

Exactly... Not all systems are built the same. Not to mention you are on a socket939 with ddr1. A bit older and little underpowered than the new systems.
!