Dvd-rw drive is not recognized as a recordable device

largnchargn07

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
My PC is running Windows XP Professional. I can't see the DVD/CD-Rom drives in the Device Manager. I can't get a known pre-recorded CD to play nor can I get a DVD to play a movie. The DVD-RW will open if I press the front button manually but nothing happens after I close it back up. I have tried to update the registry by deleting the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters. I tried unplugging power and removing the DVD-RW and waiting a couple of hours and still the PC doesn't recognize the devices. I have tried all of the microsoft support tips and none of those items worked. Please HELP!

If you tried the upper and lower filter and it still won't work there are basically two things you can do:
1. use restore to set the computer back to before the problem started, this will also un-do the changes you just made to the filters. It will put the filters back to the original state.
2. repair install the operating system from the XP disk

Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

For the second choice, what you want to do first is back up all your personal files to a USB drive, or an online backup service such as Mozy. OK you won't be able to back them up to a CD.
You will need an XP installation disk, do you have that?

devt333

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
logitec webcams will do that sometimes. It had happened to me. Roxio software, adaptec software - can do the same.

I am assuming they have disappeared (you not just installed them).