My just built PC question

jayjay

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I just made a PC but I have a question when I formated the HDD I made a 14.6GB partition for windows and a 218 partition for different programs and games I'll be installing, both partitions are in the NTSF file system format. I read about doing it like this will make windows run faster, but I was just thinking did I do this right, or should I re do?

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I would highly recommend keeping a hardrive that small as one whole drive, no partitions. Keeping programs on a separate partition may decrease your performance. If you you need space for media files (vids, music, etc.) buy a cheapo external harddrive so your main drive can be home to your programs and games, etc.

Partitions are more useful for storing files than programs, because if you have to wipe your windows partition, you will not lose your media files. On the other hand, if you wipe your windows partition and have programs installed on another, you will have to reinstall all of your programs when you reinstall windows.

I've gone through this whole debaccle so I know the pains of it. Anyway, if you're still set on making a partition, leave some 50gb or so on your windows partition for program installations.

Cheers and good luck.

jayjay

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Is the decrease in performance noticable ? Also the only way to make it one whole drive again is to re-install windows right?

Sarcastic

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Partitions in my experience do not cause a noticeable performance hit. However yours will due to the incredibly small size of your C: partition. If you must partition your drive I would recommend a 60gb partition for your OS. Also when you install programs like adobe, office, quicktime, etc install them to your OS partition because these programs will not function correctly if you reformat and they are installed on your other partition. As for games though I have yet to find a game that does not work after formating my os drive. Just remember most game saves are in your my documents folder. Hope this helps.