CrossOver cable required or not ?!

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hi,
I wanna stack two linksys switches (unmanaged switches) , do I need a crossover cable to connect the two together or can I also go with a regular non-crossover ethernet cable ?!

please do advice.

thanks

sturm

Splendid
If the switches have auto sensing ports or auto-mdx, then you can use either a crossover or straight through. If the ports are not auto sensing then you must use a crossover.

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006

hmm , well reason why i'm asking is because i'm having freeze up problems where both switches freeze and drop all connected workstations to them. I've replaced both switches with new ones and still the same problem so I was wondering if it could be the crossover cable tingiee. any other clues why it could be freezing up .. and it happens randomly ... after i reset the switches things work again.

sturm

Splendid
Have you tried running one switch at a time to see if it locks up?
Heat issue?
Are you stacking the switches in series or parallel with another switch between them?

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006

Only if its two of them , and no heat Issues since they are far away from each other.

The way things are connected are as follows:

Windows 2003 Server machine connects to one of the switches (ex port1) feeding all the workstations on that first switch , then port 2 connects to the 2nd switch feeding all the workstations connected on that one. so dont know if that's series or parrarel ?!

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006

yup all workstations on the same network , one network, one server , one dhcp.

there is router which is on a seperate lan ... server has two nic's . one that connects to the internet router then to ISP then the 2nd NIC connects to one of these two switches and feeds everything.

p.s. DHCP is disabled on the router not to conflict with the DHCP running on the windows 2003 server and they are on different network subnets anyways.

ex. 192.168.1.254 ( for router -> NIC #1 )

ex 10.10.1.1 ( for local network switches >- NIC # 2)