Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU OEM vs. Retail

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 24, 2008 2:20:50 PM

I am about to buy a new system:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248291-31-this-pull-trigger

And it was suggested to me that I purchase my Q6600 OEM where I can be guaranteed a G0. First, how much am I missing by not getting the Retail version? Second, are there still Q6660s being shipped retail (Newegg) that AREN'T G0?

I am pretty novice-ish with all this. I've built two machines before, but it was like 7 years ago and its all so different. I don't want to put myself behind the 8-Ball by going OEM, but I of course want the G0!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : cpu oem retail

January 24, 2008 2:29:34 PM

OEM = Just the CPU

Retail = CPU + Documentation + Stock heatsink + Some random plastic/cardboard packing + Normally/sometimes a longer warranty.

So for OEM you need to buy your own cooler (which you'll want to do anyway if you want to overclock).
January 24, 2008 2:34:12 PM

Yes, I already ordered the TRUE. It should be here tomrrow. I plan on getting it lapped and ready to go.

So... documentation wise... anything I can't find Online? Is there a compelling reason then to get the Retail?
Related resources
January 24, 2008 2:43:43 PM

Since you've got a heatsink anyway ... the only thing which comes to mind is the warranty. OEM is normally 12months and Retail is 36months.
January 24, 2008 3:00:03 PM

OEM = if you are rookie to PC stuffs and accessories plus dont want the hastle of assembling

Good OEM brands to suggest are Dell or Alienware... they provide good enthusiast PC's
January 24, 2008 3:01:18 PM

althius said:
I am about to buy a new system:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248291-31-this-pull-trigger

And it was suggested to me that I purchase my Q6600 OEM where I can be guaranteed a G0. First, how much am I missing by not getting the Retail version? Second, are there still Q6660s being shipped retail (Newegg) that AREN'T G0?

I am pretty novice-ish with all this. I've built two machines before, but it was like 7 years ago and its all so different. I don't want to put myself behind the 8-Ball by going OEM, but I of course want the G0!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.


I was in the same boat last night. Had the OEM in the cart but did a quick compare on Newegg and the retail has a 3 year manufacturer warranty. The OEM didn't appear too. It would make sense that intel wouldn't warranty OEM procs because they sell them at a lower price. So that means the OEM, i.e. the place you get it from warrants it. Think it's 30 days with egg. So I changed to the Retail.
January 24, 2008 3:02:04 PM

ktheripper said:
I was in the same boat last night. Had the OEM in the cart but did a quick compare on Newegg and the retail has a 3 year manufacturer warranty. The OEM didn't appear too. It would make sense that intel wouldn't warranty OEM procs because they sell them at a lower price. So that means the OEM, i.e. the place you get it from warrants it. Think it's 30 days with egg. Well at least that's how long you can exchange it. So I changed to the Retail.

January 24, 2008 3:04:15 PM

I buy OEM.

I buy an aftermarket heatsink and I normally lap the processor within 3-6 months of getting it. That invalidates the warranty anyway.
January 24, 2008 7:19:05 PM

Good Point. My plan is lap the processor(down the road) anyway... so as long as I'm not missing any pieces with OEM, that might be the way to go.

What about the process? Are there important instructions as far as placement goes? Can someone give me quick walkthough, or point me to a good guide?
January 24, 2008 7:27:54 PM

what sort of placement???
January 24, 2008 8:08:31 PM

In the motherboard. Anything special to know? Be aware of? Part needed?
January 24, 2008 8:34:43 PM

U mean the cpu???

Theres only one place and one way. Its pretty self explanatory, open latch remove the covers and drop in. close latch and put on cooler
January 24, 2008 8:40:11 PM

coret said:
Since you've got a heatsink anyway ... the only thing which comes to mind is the warranty. OEM is normally 12months and Retail is 36months.


The funny thing is, I've never had a CPU fail in the modern era, but I've had motherboards fail. I've also had DOA mobos, but even pulled processors bought used were okay. Once it hits the channels, the worst we can expect are errata that don't come into play too often.

If only everything else with PC's was as foolproof as processors!
January 24, 2008 9:29:42 PM

yipsl said:
The funny thing is, I've never had a CPU fail in the modern era, but I've had motherboards fail. I've also had DOA mobos, but even pulled processors bought used were okay. Once it hits the channels, the worst we can expect are errata that don't come into play too often.

If only everything else with PC's was as foolproof as processors!


I've been pretty lucky with motherboards ... for me the least reliable components have been RAM and video cards (video cards all died due to memory errors though ... so still RAM :p )
!