Scythe Fan on Thermalright Ultra 120

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I have the HSF and fan installed, but my stressed temps (prime95) on my Q6600 are 54/51/48/45. I'm thinking that these are a little too high since I haven't even tried overclocking yet.

My question is about the direction of the fan relative to the heatsink. Right now I have the Scythe label facing away from the heatsink, but it seems like cool air is blowing away from the heatsink with this orientation. Does anyone know the proper orientation of the fan relative to the heatsink?

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I tried that, but the temps still seem to be in the mid 50's when stressed on the factory clock. I tried re-seating the HSF after removing and reapplying the arctic silver 5 (with the horizontal band that's suggested on their website), but I'm still getting those temps.

Think an overclock is out of the question?

Nope - give it a shot and see how the temps scale up for you.
If you have air flowing through the heat sink toward the rear case fan its on right.
You can try increasing the fan speed. Check BIOS settings for temp threshhold & fan RPM settings.

install10.jpg

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
In that picture, are you using the Scythe fan? Because right now my Scythe label is facing the heatsink, and assuming you're using the same fan mine would currently be in the exact same orientation as in the picture.

It's an Antec Tri Cool fan and the image is from a web review site.

It's really quite simple. Put your hand on the back side of the heat sink.
You should feel the majority of the air from the fan moving through the heat sink toward the rear case fan.

install8.jpg

What fan RPMs are giving you that 54/51/48/45 report?

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Ok, then the fan is definitely on the correct way now. The Scythe fan is currently at around 1400 according to the bios, but I don't see any option to manually change the speed.

I also have 3 case fans running all at the high setting.