ikyr

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Hi, again...
I'm now here to ask you what is the best buy, paying attention to perfomance and price...

It's best to buy a HD3870X2 or an nVidia 9800X2?

I know that none of them are available for now but I'll buy one of them so, I want your opinion...

Thanks a lot...

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I know we're all anxious for some new cards... but really, your going to need to be patient just like everyone else (not trying to sound like an ass). No one can have an opinion yet because very little has been mentioned on price and performance. Everything else is purely speculation.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Well frankly this should be fairly easy to find out. We know the 3870x2 performs just like two 3870s in crossfire, and we know a 9800GTX2 performs 30%-50% better than an ultra. So compare the scores of two 3870s in crossfire to those of an ultra times .30 plus the original score. That should actually be fairly accurate, and as for price... both are right now expected to be $450 suggested retail, but both could easily be over.

G

I'm settling on getting the Asus Maximus Formula MB soon and probably overclocking a Q6600 (on air).
So I'll be looking (if it can handle) 2 of the 3870x2 cards and run them both together each at full 16x.

However, for me coming from a P4 3.4 Ghz with X800Pro graphics - I'm sure this will be an enjoyable upgrade experience.

It doesn't bother me much when the Nvidia is faster. It shouldn't affect by personal experience at all, something that we sometimes overlook when we try to upgrade to the best - on paper.

Let's wait and see what the results will be and I'm sure there will be a decent experience available for everyone given their needs.

Pyros777

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I think without a doubt the 9800x2 will be faster, but I'm not so sure it will be worth the cost or heat output except for the most hard core gamers. I prefer my pair of 3870s to a pair of 8800s for exactly those reasons, plus crossfire currently scales better than SLI.

Slap an aftermarket cooler on the 8800s though, and I'd say its a pretty clear cut decision. Faster + Cooler = Better.

I wonder what kind of aftermarket cooling solutions will be available for the 9800x2 and its dual PCB design?

Ultimately we just have to WAIT for either of these products to hit the store shelves and reviewers hands before jumping to any conclusions.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Lol... I don't know.

The Quad SLI drivers aren't even out. How diminishing are the returns going to be? :kaola:

Well.. atleast I'll be able to use it as a space heater and cook my eggs in the morning. Multitasking ftw.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

It probably will. It will outperform the Ultra (in SLI situations) by 30% and be 2 8800 GTS's smashed together. I'd look for a $600+ price point. It will be nVidia's highend and will kill ATi. And what does nVidia do? Oh that's right.. Price gouge.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

lol nice one.

I believe the theoretical performance gain will be around 300% over one card.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

So considering the theoritcal performance of single SLI = 80%.. and the real is maybe 20%-40% on average...

The Quad will be a 75-150% improvement over a single card setup. It will cost 4 times as much as a single card setup..

Yea..

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Which is why I do not recommend SLI.

I dunno about SLI on one slot tho...

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Quick random side note.. The guys at Microcenter when I was there just chillin were talking to me and trying to sell me stuff. I know one of the guys that works there and he hooks me up with stuff and lets me pick out Q6600s for my friends (by Batch #, let's me check his stock).

So anyways.. we were standing there and they start talking to me. I talk to the guy and play dumb. Next thing I know he's trying to sell me 2 8600 GTs in SLI because they outperform an 8800 GTS. When my buddy got back I told him about it and found out why. They are commission based, and the 2 8600 GTs were more expensive than a single 8800 GTS. I love crap like that. Actually it pisses me off, because then people get on this forum to cry about low scores and crappy FPS. SLI should be limited to the high end.

ANYWAYS:

I think single slot will perform similarly to regular SLI unless they REALLY optimize the drivers.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

That's why I hate salesman. They are so frekin annoying. I also hate the car dealers, man that market is so black...

Also do your homework before buying anything is what I say. And read some consumer reviews (Grrr...my P35C DS3R...).

Do you need an SLI board to run the 9800GX2?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I'm not sure to be honest. I can't remember.. anyone remember the 7950 GX2 and if it worked on non-SLI boards?

I think you do.. It's another way for nVidia to force consumers to buy nVidia motherboards. That's another problem I have with them. The nForce 200 chip enables SLI on other boards. A mobo maker dropped it onto an X38 and it didn't work. It's an obvious driver limitation. There have been hacked drivers that enabled SLI in the past.

nVidia should be slapped with a law suit for not allowing SLI on any platform. They tie consumers into their motherboards by only allowing SLI on them.. I can't buy a board based on merit if I want an SLI setup. ATi lets me buy based on merit.

Also Evil, instead of reading reviews, just ask me. :kaola:

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Well the mere fact about the 9800GX2 using a 8pin connector puts me off.

I like SLI better than Crossfire. Crossfire just sounds...corny.

I've been doing that for quite awhile now if you haven't noticed in the past few threads we hijacked. :lol:

Many thanks as always! :p

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Lol, no problem.

I love Crossfire.

Crossfire.jpg

DON'T GET CAUGHT IN IT!