Sign in with
Your question

Opinions for CPS's with Supreme Commander and Sup Com (FA)

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2008 9:27:25 PM

Hey gang, I have been fighting with myself as of late on the final build concerning my CPU. I am building for Gaming and 95% of the time playing Supreme Commander. I have been chatting with "AEVM" quite a bit concerning the differences with Quad and Duel. I am interested to see if there are any other SupCom enthusiast out there who have any experience with this. Right now budget isn't an issue between the Q6600, the E8400, and the soon to come out Q9xxx series. Looking for best game playability as well as future game playability...Also...I guess I am getting a free copy of Crysis with my vid card. not much of a FPS gamer though...Thanks for your time!!!!

More about : opinions cps supreme commander

January 24, 2008 9:31:59 PM

For supreme commander you WILL see a difference between dual and quad core.

My recommendation is the Q6600 and use the money saved (between buying it and the new 9 series quads) for a good heatsink and get a nice overclock going.
January 24, 2008 9:32:07 PM

I have supcom. It still starts slowing down on my Q6600 @ 3.15GHz. Of course that's with 4000 units on a 20kmx20km map. I have an 8800GTS 320MB, play mostly on high on 12 x 10 res.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 24, 2008 9:34:52 PM

Evilonigiri said:
I have supcom. It still starts slowing down on my Q6600 @ 3.15GHz. Of course that's with 4000 units on a 20kmx20km map. I have an 8800GTS 320MB, play mostly on high on 12 x 10 res.

We should play dude.

I can host.
January 24, 2008 9:36:39 PM

cnumartyr said:
We should play dude.

I can host.

You know I would love to play. ^^

But there's one problem...I don't have internet on my pc!

My parents are so conservative they are actually afraid of me owning the internet. Right now I'm using my mom's pc, which is a P4 btw, under the pretense I'm doing homework.
January 24, 2008 9:38:25 PM

Evilonigiri said:
You know I would love to play. ^^

But there's one problem...I don't have internet on my pc!

My parents are so conservative they are actually afraid of me owning the internet. Right now I'm using my mom's pc, which is a P4 btw, under the pretense I'm doing homework.

Lol.. jeez.
January 24, 2008 9:39:58 PM

cnumartyr said:
Lol.. jeez.

Try living my life. :( 

There's a reason to why I'm here most of the time...
January 24, 2008 9:44:32 PM

@cnumartyr Ummmmm...Wow... I can ONLY play the 5x5 maps and I start to lag with about 450 units and if I get much over 700 I all out freeze up for several seconds. I am still trudging along with an Asus 9600 AIW 9600 Pro and my CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ running at 2.2 GHz and only 512Ram. LOL I dont think Ive ever SEEN the game on the High Settings!!!
January 24, 2008 9:46:45 PM

bugspin23 said:
@cnumartyr Ummmmm...Wow... I can ONLY play the 5x5 maps and I start to lag with about 450 units and if I get much over 700 I all out freeze up for several seconds. I am still trudging along with an Asus 9600 AIW 9600 Pro and my CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ running at 2.2 GHz and only 512Ram. LOL I dont think Ive ever SEEN the game on the High Settings!!!

I play Maxed at 16x10 with max units.

I don't have hickups.
January 24, 2008 9:47:33 PM

coret said:
For supreme commander you WILL see a difference between dual and quad core.

My recommendation is the Q6600 and use the money saved (between buying it and the new 9 series quads) for a good heatsink and get a nice overclock going.

I do agree that I should go with the Quad. However, money isn't really an issue...I have a budget for a new rig around 2K. I have only to decide on if I want to wait for the new 9 series quads to come out...or just stick with the Q6600. I have read and heard about some issue gamers are having with a "multiplier"? I don't quite understand what that means.
January 24, 2008 9:49:10 PM

bugspin23 said:
I do agree that I should go with the Quad. However, money isn't really an issue...I have a budget for a new rig around 2K. I have only to decide on if I want to wait for the new 9 series quads to come out...or just stick with the Q6600. I have read and heard about some issue gamers are having with a "multiplier"? I don't quite understand what that means.

The Q6600 is reall for people who overclocks. If you don't want to overclock, just go with the new quad.
January 24, 2008 9:50:08 PM

I got a Q6600 and GTS320, the game runs great, after about 45 min or so with 5 AIs my fps goes down to 20~25. I play 1280x1024.

With my old PC (P4 3.2Ghz, 7800GS AGP) the FPS started at 25, after 15 minutes I was lucky to get 10-15 fps.

bugspin23 said:

that's probably the q9450 (I think that's the one) with the lower multiplier, harder to OC.
January 24, 2008 9:54:47 PM

Evilonigiri said:
The Q6600 is reall for people who overclocks. If you don't want to overclock, just go with the new quad.

I am definitely going to over clock...

I am getting a Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heat-sink and sticking a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan on it. As per the STRONG recommendations of several members of the forum.

One thing I am just starting to realize is about cooling for the Vid card. Whats the deal with that??? Can you over clock these things? Do I even need to??? I am getting the GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB.
January 24, 2008 9:58:19 PM

bugspin23 said:

I am getting a Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heat-sink and sticking a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan on it. As per the STRONG recommendations of several members of the forum.

One thing I am just starting to realize is about cooling for the Vid card. Whats the deal with that??? Can you over clock these things? Do I even need to??? I am getting the GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB.

Wow, looks like you really want to OC.

There's a C2D OC guide in the OC section. Read that to get a general idea.

And yes, you can OC a vidcard by using a program such as Rivatuner. Hopefully the OC for video cards will be up.
January 24, 2008 9:58:21 PM

bugspin23 said:

My 8800 GTS came at 670 MHz core. It sits at 800 MHz core all day. And 820 MHz core for Benchmarking. It is on the stock cooler.

We recently posted a video card OCing guide in the OC section. Refer to that for information on overclocking it.
January 24, 2008 10:03:45 PM

Great!!! I will definitely check that out. SO Back to the semi original post. Am I getting that the recommended CPU is the Q6600 and OC that puppy. Over the new Q9 Series of course.
January 24, 2008 10:06:15 PM

bugspin23 said:
Great!!! I will definitely check that out. SO Back to the semi original post. Am I getting that the recommended CPU is the Q6600 and OC that puppy. Over the new Q9 Series of course.

That would be a good choice.
January 25, 2008 1:54:49 AM

There won't be much difference between between those three at their typical maximum overclocks. Most of the game is handled in the monolithic render and sim threads both of which are dumped on the first and second core. Most of the game's problems lie in the highly expensive overlays (FPS gets hit by a car), broken sound system (no 5.1, harddrive streaming), and highly expensive fog of war (FPS gets hit by a bicycle).
!