Boot laptop drive clone on desktop

nuklep1

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
My laptop (Toshiba m115 s3094) died on me. Before I sent it out for repair, I ghosted its hard-drive. Then I recovered that ghost image to a new hard drive. I want to put this new hard drive and boot with it, so that when I start my computer its just like my laptop. I understand the ghosted drive had drivers for the toshiba laptop, but

is there any outside chance (with errors) that I could bootup a (dell dimensions 4600) with this new hard drive?

if not, then any ideas how I could get all my files setup exactly on the desktop as they were in my laptop?

Thanks

edit: the original os was WINDOWS XP MCE

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I'm thinking the problem you will run into is the drivers. Best bet might be to wait until your laptop gets back, restore the image to that, and then customize your desktop as close to that as you can.

However, could it boot? Possibly. You can always try it. Like at work I work on Macintosh mostly so the beauty of that is that on every system, hardware is pretty standardized, vs a pc where you have all kinds of different mixes and matches.

DiamondWraith

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Its quite possible. I recently upgraded a computer(Win XP MCE 05) from an athlon XP chipset to an Athlon socket 939 chipset, new ram, and new gfx card. After several reboots the mouse & keyboard finally started working(both USB) and I was able to get into windows to do some configuring.

This was mainly just an experiment, stamped it with the superior Vista right after. :kaola:

-DW