Rename invalid directory

lblack3333

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I used the rename function on my viewsonic media player to rename a directory on an external hard drive and accidentally put a colon in the directory name. It let me do it, but now I can't get at the directory on my media player and I can't change the name back using windows or dos. They both show the directory but say they can't find the specified path.

I am >>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you.

Download a Linux Rescue CD. Boot & rename from there.

lblack3333

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Thank you for your reply. I made a Linux rescue CD and booted from it but I am unfamiliar with Linux commands. I found several Linux command guides online but I'm overwhelmed and can't find how to say what I specifically need to do, which is:
1) change to my external hard drive (f:)
2) go to a directory named "TV" then to a subdirectory named "Voyager S4-7 4:3"
3) rename the subdirectory "Voyager S4-7 43" to get rid of the colon in it.

Can you help?

Thank you.

This may be a quicker solution, and easier. Utility to remove invalid chars in FOLDER & FILE Names.

http://www.purgeie.com/shareprep/

lblack3333

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, when I used Shareprep it said the filename is fixable and showed the old name and a suggested new name, but when I clicked on the repair button it said file not found. I tried the truncate function with the same result. I tried each several times, then gave up.

Also, I've been boning up on Linux and now know the commands I would need to change the filename, but unfortunately found that Linux is not able to write to an NTFS external hard drive unless I find and install extra modules using mad computer skills I don't have. I'll probably just reformat and reload, though it's almost a terabyte of data. I do thank you for your ideas and willingness to help.