Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell Inspiron 1764 with Windows XP

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 15, 2010 3:59:42 AM

Hello,

When I do a totally fresh install of XP SP3 the machine seems to have some background process that constantly uses +/- 33% cpu utilization. - I have installed all the drivers and device manager reports no problems, but still the 33% issue remains.

NOT hardware, as everything is ok in either Vista of Windows 7

Help - I have run out of ideas!
a b \ Driver
June 15, 2010 5:32:36 AM

Open Task Manager. What process is taking 33% all the time?
a b \ Driver
June 15, 2010 6:17:59 AM

TheVorlon2010 said:
Hello,

When I do a totally fresh install of XP SP3 the machine seems to have some background process that constantly uses +/- 33% cpu utilization. - I have installed all the drivers and device manager reports no problems, but still the 33% issue remains.

NOT hardware, as everything is ok in either Vista of Windows 7

Help - I have run out of ideas!


In Task Manager>Processes, tick the box at the bottom to "Show processes from all users" then click on the head of the CPU column to bring the high users to the top of the list.
Related resources
July 1, 2010 1:17:05 PM

I have an Inspiron 1764 Laptop as well and I have been trying to find drivers that work in XP without any luck. It seems like you were able to find drivers and actually get Xp going. Where did you find compatible drivers?

Thanks
a b \ Driver
July 1, 2010 2:55:44 PM

dwill98 said:
I have an Inspiron 1764 Laptop as well and I have been trying to find drivers that work in XP without any luck. It seems like you were able to find drivers and actually get Xp going. Where did you find compatible drivers?

Thanks


The only safe place for a Dell is their own website. Find your Service Tag which is printed on a label somewhere on the base and input that at http://www.dell.com and you'll be guided to the right drivers for the equipment installed into your machine uniquely. I've never been too impressed with their products but their record keeping is second to none.

July 1, 2010 4:01:59 PM

Saga Lout said:
The only safe place for a Dell is their own website. Find your Service Tag which is printed on a label somewhere on the base and input that at http://www.dell.com and you'll be guided to the right drivers for the equipment installed into your machine uniquely. I've never been too impressed with their products but their record keeping is second to none.


Thanks. Their website was the first place I tried. However they only provide drivers for Windows 7 (which comes with the computer) and Vista. I even called their technical support team and they told me I would have to buy a $239.00 software warranty to get any support outside of Windows 7.

I want to have my computer dual booting XP and windows 7 because I have software that is not supported by Windows 7 and I find it does not work well with Vista. I have been successful with getting the hard drive partitioned and installing XP with the dual boot of Windows 7. However XP is almost useless because I am unable to find the required drivers for networking, audio etc that will work with XP and this computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
a b \ Driver
July 1, 2010 7:43:35 PM

dwill98 said:
Thanks. Their website was the first place I tried. However they only provide drivers for Windows 7 (which comes with the computer) and Vista. I even called their technical support team and they told me I would have to buy a $239.00 software warranty to get any support outside of Windows 7.

I want to have my computer dual booting XP and windows 7 because I have software that is not supported by Windows 7 and I find it does not work well with Vista. I have been successful with getting the hard drive partitioned and installing XP with the dual boot of Windows 7. However XP is almost useless because I am unable to find the required drivers for networking, audio etc that will work with XP and this computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


Go into Device Manager and in the Properties of a device for which you seek a driver, click the Details tab. Note the four characters following VEN for vendor and also after DEV for device and input those in the appropriate boxes at http://www.pcidatabase.com. That will tell you the name of the manufacturer - hopefully it won't be Dell - and may lead to a driver that works with XP. The expensive alternative is to replace the offending equipment. Which devices are causing a problem?

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2010 1:08:11 AM

I am in the same boat as you....I have two 1764's and want to lose windows 7 on both of them. If anyone has the working drivers it would be so cool for you to post the links.


Thanks
July 14, 2010 6:08:53 AM

Quote:
I am in the same boat as you....I have two 1764's and want to lose windows 7 on both of them. If anyone has the working drivers it would be so cool for you to post the links.


Thanks



The trick here is to download the reference drivers from the chipset manufacturers directly. They will have XP drivers. Doesn't mean you will find drivers for everything because there could be some proprietary Dell stuff. But it will usually work.
September 2, 2010 10:10:42 AM

try disabling the ACPI driver listed under battery in the device manager.
September 2, 2010 10:18:59 AM

dwill98 said:
Thanks. Their website was the first place I tried. However they only provide drivers for Windows 7 (which comes with the computer) and Vista. I even called their technical support team and they told me I would have to buy a $239.00 software warranty to get any support outside of Windows 7.

I want to have my computer dual booting XP and windows 7 because I have software that is not supported by Windows 7 and I find it does not work well with Vista. I have been successful with getting the hard drive partitioned and installing XP with the dual boot of Windows 7. However XP is almost useless because I am unable to find the required drivers for networking, audio etc that will work with XP and this computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.



If you click through each individual driver, and click on compatibility, it'll list the operating systems supported. Some of those drivers that they list for 7 do support XP (such as the Alp touchpad; the some of the chipset drivers; the card reader drivers; even Roxio Burn etc)

For others:
get the intel reference drivers for the 5 series chipset
get the intel reference drivers for the HD graphics (if it has the UMA graphics) - this also installs the HDMI audio and turbo boost
both available at intel.com

Get the realtek reference drivers for the wired LAN
get the realtek reference drivers for the HD Audio
both available at realtek.com.tw

For the wireless LAN, you may want to root around Dells site since they used many of the same cards in the Vostros and Latitudes that have XP. I ran the driver, but it said no device was found, but I simply tried to reinstall the driver from the device manager and pointed it to the drivers that it unpacked.

word of warning, you may want to disable the ACPI driver under battery if you are seeing sluggish performance issues.
!