Sign in with
Your question

Is it a pain to remove a stock fan and heatsink?

Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2008 11:25:37 PM

I'll be ordering the Intel E2160 this weekend. If I install the stock heatsink and fan I want to remove it in a month or so and replace it before I start OCing it. Is it a pain?

Thanks

a b à CPUs
January 24, 2008 11:39:39 PM

No, the pain is putting it on in the first place.
January 24, 2008 11:47:23 PM

randomizer said:

Agreed :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
January 24, 2008 11:57:47 PM

yes i thriple that

heat it up first - disconnect the fan for a min or so
that will heat it up
January 25, 2008 12:05:12 AM

randomizer said:

terrific reply! But yeah, if you can figure out how to get the stock hs/fan on, you should have no problem with a new one. One thing to consider: to install some heatsinks (many of the higher end zalmans especially) you must remove the motherboard from the case, so if this sounds a little out of your league, you'll want to do your research and make sure you get a different one.
January 25, 2008 12:23:22 AM

IRRELEVANT POST THAT DIDN'T DEAL WITH THE ORIGINAL POST....MY BAD....
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2008 12:45:17 AM

^The LGA775 chips don't have pins on the CPU. :lol: 

I agree wit the guys who said that putting the stock fan is a pain. But even worse is a OCZ CPU coolers, even though they work better (than stock) installation is a real pain. I spent like 10 minutes trying to install a OCZ Vanquisher.
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2008 12:45:42 AM

Which is one thing the intel reference design is good for. AMD HSs can barely move.
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2008 12:48:23 AM

Shadow703793 said:

I agree wit the guys who said that putting the stock fan is a pain. But even worse is a OCZ CPU coolers, even though they work better (than stock) installation is a real pain. I spent like 10 minutes trying to install a OCZ Vanquisher.

Try the Asus silent knight. I took 15-20 mins to get it on :sarcastic: 
January 25, 2008 12:56:48 AM

The only pain is shelling out the cash for a new HSF :D 
January 25, 2008 12:56:55 AM

Shadow703793 said:

I'll give you that; I guess reading the orginal post more closely, the LGA chips don't have pins.... Haven't worked with any yet so perhaps I'll just walk away from this thread and leave it to you guys.... :sarcastic: 
January 25, 2008 1:01:54 AM

My scythe ninja R. B always worries me... I feel like im about to break the damn thing (socket AM2)
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2008 2:03:10 AM

Well you dont need to change the stock cooler to OC the chip. Its actually a waste of money for those cpus. Not unless you intend to push it to its max clock.

Most of those chips get to somewhere around 3ghz with stock volts and stock cooling.

Just cause you are going to OC doesnt mean you need a aftermarket cooler
!