My first build - should i wait or buy?

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hey. Im now gonna order my first own computer and build it for myself.

This is the pieces ive selected so far:

Samsung 226BW 22" Wide TFT Svart Analog&DVI 2ms Widescreen

Antec LifeStyle SONATA III Quiet Super MiniTower 500W ATX

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R iP35 4DDR2-DIMM + 2DDR3-DIMM 3PCI 4PCIe SATA Raid Audio GB-LAN Socket775 ATX

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB FSB1066 Boxed (with cpu-cooler!) Socket 775

Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTS 512MB DDR3 TV-out HDTV DUAL DVI RETAIL PCI Express

Corsair XMS2-6400 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G 5-5-5-18 Xtreme 2x2048MB (tot. 4GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz with Heatsink

Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 7200rpm 16MB SATA2

Now I've just got some questions:

1. Does everything in this build go together?

2. Will the built-in PSU from Antec be enough for this build?

3. I dont have a "real" need for a new computer for a few months really, would it be wiser to wait for Nvidias and Intels new graphic cards and CPUs instead? Will there be a cheap quad-core processor out quite soon or will they all be high-end? Also the new 9600gt seems crap and the gtx will probably be too expensive. How long would i have to wait for a mid-high-range like the 8800gts 512?

Any help is appreciated!

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
First off, check the PSU specs, see what amperages it lists. Antec is decent stuff so you might be ok there. Cheap quad core processors. Though they don't offer the same performance, look at AMD Phenom, they are quad core and should be cheaper, but then you are looking at a different board, etc.

Also, 2 gb should be enough for most systems now, so if you want to save a little. Otherwise get a 64 bit OS so you make sure you can take advantage of all that memory. But it seems there are still more compatibility issues in some areas with a 64 bit OS vs 32 bit OS.

Also, if your worried about Video card, why not select something from EVGA and use their step up program? I've never used it myself, but from what I hear it's like you buy a card, say within the first 90 days, if you want a better card or another, better card is released, then you can trade up to that card and just pay the difference. But you may want to hold until march, as I think new cards from nvidia come out in february. So then you can see the real benchmarks, not just speculation.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the replies! Im not sure if EVGA has that program in Sweden, as I've never heard anyone talk about it. And I ordered (not sent yet so i can still cancel the order) the gts just before every retailer raised the price, so I'fm getting it for the price of a 8800gt.

I've ordered the whole package already but both the video card and the mobo is delayed 31 January so i can still cancel everything. That was why i was thinking that I might aswell wait a few extra weeks if i have to wait anyway. But still - the 8800gts 512 was released just about a month ago right? So it will still hold out for some time.

If its any components im worried about, its the mobo and the cpu. Ive read many good reviews of both, but they've still been on the market for a while, and I want my computer to be able to hang on for as long as possible.

Anyway, it appears that this is the PSU thats included in the PC case:

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Antec_Earthwatts_500W/index.shtml

Im not sure how to read the amperages and what they mean though, so I would appreciate some help with that.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Seeing as this is your first build(I think, maybe I missed something, kind of buzzing here), you might want to wait for the cheaper e8200/8400 cpus and save yourself some cash, since you probably have no use for a full quad core, unless you do 3d rendering or some really intensive video compression.

Also, about the new cards from nvidia, I don't think they will be releasing anything you might be interested. I think the only thing in the works as far as I know is the 9800 wich will be a very high end card based on dual gpus.

You system looks ok by me. But you might want to think really hard about weather or not you are really going to need that much memory, unless you don't mind wasting money for no good reason.

*EDIT*
I think that power supply should do for your intended use.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
You didnt miss anything, Evilshuriken. This is my first build. The "buzz" might be because of my English(its not my first language).

Well I see your point in the memory, but as 4gb of memory is so cheep as it is, I dont see why not. A few extra tens of $ doesn't make a very big difference really. And i'll probably use vista which needs quite much memory just to run...

About the quadcore-processor. I know there is not much need for quadcores at the moment, but I think more and more game creators will adapt to the market and make games that have better support for quadcores.

And you're probably right about the new Nvidia cards. I'll stick with my 8800gts seeing as i got it so cheap.

But im still worrying about the PSU! Help with that would still be appreciated :)

Thanks for everything!

/Anton

sailer

Splendid

If the PSU is indeed the Earthwatts 500wt model, then its good. There's been a problem in the past of PSU's that were supplied with the case being on the cheap and less reliable side, no matter who made them.

As for the OS, I'd recommend a 64 bit OS. If you don't want Vista 64, there is XP64 Pro which is a 64 bit OS and it will do everything Vista can do except DX10. Better yet, it will do everything faster. With XP64 Pro, there should be no compatability problems, as might be the case with Vista 64.

Since you are waiting until the end of January, you might check out the Q9450 chip, as its priced fairly close to the Q6600 and being the new generation, is more powerful. Not sure if it would take a different motherboard, though.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I actually didnt have any idea that xp came in a 64-bit version! Then I'll ofcourse use xp. When you say incompatability, do you mean such that will not be solved by newer software? I would like to be able to upgrade to visa when it's more stable and reliable.

It says here http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=08142 that the PSU is indeed the earthwatts so should not be problem.

Do you have any idea about how much the Q9450 chip will cost? Its produced with 45nm technology right? That should mean quite an improvement? Will it still be socket 775?

About the mobos cpu support... this is the link to the one im buying: http://www.gigabyte.eu/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2746

Im not quite sure how to read it though...

flyinfreeee

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
Hey, i have in the last few days put together half of my future system which is strangely close to what you have put together. Im living in paris but got the graphics card from a uk site to save cash, heres what i picked up:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R €84
Sonata3+Earthwatts 500w €102
WD Caviar 500Go €89
Asus DVD-Burner €35
OCZ 2x1GB PC2-6400 Platinum €50
Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 512MB €198
Antec 120mm Smart Cool €14
PROCESSOR €140-190

I havent bought the processor yet. If i were you (and in my case I will be doing this...) I would get the E8400. Better than the E6750 and not that much more (Ive seen it@179euros+free shipping on a french website).

The only problem is that you will have to wait a week or two for it to arrive (maybe more). In my case this is not a problem as my graphics card is going to arrive in 3weeks or more anyway.

You said that your pieces arent arriving till the end of the month so for you it should fit in well time-wise.

The 500W PSU should be enough, i certainly did my research and feel confident. Be sure that your graphics card isnt super long because it could be a problem.

Furthermore, you should consider buying a 120mm fan to inhale air into the case. It may not be possible with your graphics card though (im not sure how lengthy your specific card is)

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I actually did plan to buy another 120mm fan so that wont be a problem :)

http://www.expreview.com/img/review/45nmE8400/tab2e.png

Yes there are many cpus that are planned to be released soon, but I dont trust Intel for that part. It feels like it might take a while before they release the quadprocessor that I might want, the Q9300. I don't feel like waiting for too long. But why would you take a dual-core instead of a quadcore?

Im having trouble finding the size of my GPU but I dont think it should be much bigger than the GT...

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
"The Intel® P35 Express Chipsets support the latest multi-core processors up to FSB 1333MHz, including the upcoming 45nm platform, with its record breaking performance and greater energy efficiency."

The mobo should support the new CPUs without a problem then...

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
"Meanwhile, first information about the E8000 series, the successor of the current Core 2 Duo E6000 models, begins to show up. Several media outlets are reporting that the 45 nm dual cores will be shipping in late January, while the Q9000 quad-cores are expected to follow with a few weeks of delay."

posted 11th january... assuming this is true, i would only have to wait about 1 month extra.. Maybe i should cancel my order and wait then

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Don't get the SuperMini Sonata - Get the Sonata III.
Same PSU and it can be had for $65AR at Frys.

The Sonata III is a Mid-Tier instead of a Mini Tower.
The larger tower should help with heat issues.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I don't quite follow you, Zenmaster. I can only find one version of Sonata III (http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=08142) and that is the one I'm buying

flyinfreeee

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
E8400 over the Quads because of the price/ability. Such a nice processor will surfice for everything I personally do, and as someone said before (and people say a lot on forums) the quads (unless you render and do serious stuff on your pc) will not be benefitial, especially when pitted against a 3 or 4(oc) ghz dual core. i hear the quads are harder to oc also.

if you have the cash, splash out on a quad with his speeds, but ill be getting a very lovely E8400 at the meagre price of 180 euros!

how much did you pay for your setup, you said you were from sweden i think (without scrolling up to check)... just wondered what a fellow european pays

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
For my whole setup, including the samsung monitor, cheapass mouse and keyboard, an extra fan and shipment fee to my home i paid 12 823 sek which is according to Google

£1 024
1 363€
or
2 006$

We have quite high tax in Sweden, so it wouldnt surprise me if i have to pay much more than you do. I also ordered everything from the same webshop so i might have been able to cut down the price a bit more - but I'm a lazy bum.

sailer

Splendid

Yeah, XP has had a 64 bit version for years. I've been using it and enjoying it. I intend to be building another computer using it in a month or so. Much faster than Vista, and thanks to Vista, most companies now have 64 bit drivers, which used to be an occasional problem. Vista, whether 32 bit or 64 bit, still has some problems. Creative Labs, for instance hasn't got the best drivers yet for Vista. But except for the lack of DX10, XP64 Pro is like the best of XP with the ability to use 4 or more gig of ram and faster performance.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
SP1 for Vista should be coming out shortly. I'm running the SP1 release candidate right now without any issues. Only 32bit though :(

Anyways Vista isn't as bad as people say it is, but it definitely has room to improve. I just think that with DX10 games becoming more and more prevalent Vista will be a necessity for high-end gaming in the near future.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
My Bad.

Looks likes different sites are naming it different.
Some call it "Mid-Tower" and some a "Mini-Tower"
I presumed there was a size difference.
Looking at specs frm the differnent sites, it's the same one.

spet3r

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Anyways Vista isn't as bad as people say it is, but it definitely has room to improve. I just think that with DX10 games becoming more and more prevalent Vista will be a necessity for high-end gaming in the near future.

This is true... I remember the first year that Windows XP was out. People were dead set against it and were praising Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 Pro. It wasn't until SP2 that Windows XP got really good... I had it from the beginning and remember all the issues... Vista is not much different. I'd invest in Vista 64 bit if possible looking long term, it will get better especially as hardware improves. Newegg has it for $180.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If you are gonig to run XP, I would recommend the 32-bit version not the 64bit version unless you specifically have 64-bit versions for most of the software you are going to run. Likely, you won't. There are still compatibility issues with some software with any 64-bit versions of Windows.

If you get Vista, you may want to get the Retail instead of the OEM version. It's a couple dollars more but includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.