Sign in with
Your question

OSX86, Windows XP dual boot machine.

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2008 2:51:19 PM

Hey,

I did some searching on the threads and I haven't noticed anybody asking about builds that would be able to dual boot OSX86 and windows XP. I already have copies of both software so I was looking to build a computer for around $1,000 U.S. w/o including the price of a new monitor (give or take $200 if it is worth the cost) that will mainly be used for doing lots of Video editing. I started putting together a list of parts that seemed compatible, but am currently traveling in India for the next few days which makes looking for parts pretty difficult. I'm looking to put together a documentary from this India footage, so I'm looking to purchase this computer right when I get home in a few days. If any of the wise sages here has any advice on a new build I would be forever great.

Thanks!
January 13, 2008 2:59:26 PM

Sorry,

I thought I'd also add a few things.

-I'm not opposed to overclocking, but I'm not sure how it would effect running OSX86 or anything

- I know there are some new Intel processors coming out soon, so is this a bad time to buy?
January 14, 2008 11:02:06 AM

Is there anything else you'll do on the pc?

I'm not familiar with OSX86. I take it you want to run video editing software on OSX86? Why not on Windows? No dual-boot hassle.

No, the new cpu's won't double your pc's speed. It's just new 45nm manufacturing process. Cooler temps. Much better overclocks. If you plan to upgrade the cpu, I suggest you get a cheap C2D for now. Such as the e4xx0. Then upgrade the cpu & sell the cheap one when it comes time.
Related resources
January 14, 2008 11:20:32 AM

Yes you can dual boot, but its a lot easier if you get both OS's on seperate HDDs.

The biggest question your going to recieve is: why? And I have to agree there... whats the point of tainting your new PC with OSX
January 14, 2008 11:22:03 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was just reading up about the new processors and saw this article posted on a different thread: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-wolf...

It seems to me If I can just wait a few weeks the e8500 would be great for overclocking and even without overclocking gives a 10-15% boost in performance. But I guess this is why I still have a P4 1.7 ghz computer, I always see a better processors right around the corner.... I'm not much into buying and selling the cpus as they come out (too much hassle) so if its worth it I might as well wait until the end of the month. Any other recommendations about to wait or get now?

Also I do some computer gaming, but I'm not obsessed with having the very highest settings or anything. As long as the computer is speedy and will load starcraft 2 pretty well on release I'm happy.
January 14, 2008 11:29:09 AM

but why OSX?
January 14, 2008 11:31:30 AM

I was really considering using OSX86 just for final cut pro. Other then that there is no real reason for wanting it, which is why I was planning on building a dual boot machine then get a mac (not to mention the price savings for building yourself.)

I'm also a PC user at heart, and although gaming isn't my very top priority for this machine I like playing a lot of computer games. Its no fun trying to play half life 2, Medieval total war, and all these other new games on a P4 1.7ghz 512mb Rdram old dell computer. Its time for an upgrade.
January 14, 2008 11:44:42 AM

save your self a headache and stay with windows and adobe.

Adobe premiere is so much more useful and productive than final cut... i dont even know where to begin.
January 14, 2008 11:54:49 AM

If it is much harder I will probably go with just Windows XP, but I figured once I got through the hassle of the dual installations all I will have to do is choose the OS on the startup. Doesn't sound too hard to me, or is there more too it?
January 15, 2008 11:23:18 AM

You can run an emulator on Windows that lets you install/run anything like OSX. A good example is VirtualPC. The speed will be cut down by a large margin.

I'm not gonna talk anymore about os'es. There's a forum for this.

As for the E8x00 Wolfdale, yup, I would love to get my hands on it & overclock it to 4+ ghz. However, if your pc is mainly for video editing, I would suggest you get a quad core like Q6600. The new quads won't be out this month. Maybe end of March. If you like, o/c the Q6600 to 3.0ghz which is a walk in the park for me at least: change just 1 setting (FSB) in bios.
!