Is this power supply good enough?

joleme

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Corsair 550w http://jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=62

I have a 8800gts 512mb video card, 1 500gb SATA drive, 2 gb pc 800 ram, 1 DVDRW drive, and a intel duo 6750.

I currently have a 750 ultra connect3 power supply or something like that. It supposedly has more than enough amperage on the 12v rail to run things, but I get weird spontaneous shutdowns from time to time. I was running a 8800gts 640mb card but stepped up to the newer version because it is supposed to be slightly better with less power consumption.

I am also replacing my heatsink in case it is an overheating processor issue, but I would like to know if anyone thinks this power supply would be adequate.

Thank you =)

Btw, I do not get blue screens or errors at all. The computer just shuts itself off, I immediately restart it without a problem and play again for days without issue.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Even if it uses the same ammount of power as the 640mb, it would still work. If it uses less, why wouldn't it work? You really didn't even have to ask that question, lol. :p

Btw, I do not get blue screens or errors at all. The computer just shuts itself off, I immediately restart it without a problem and play again for days without issue.
Do you have automatic restarts disabled? If not, then you could very well be getting BSOD's and it's not displaying them because it's set to restart as soon as it encounters an error.

If you get not BSOD at all, even with automatic restarts disabled, then it is probably a PSU / connection problem. So a new card won't really help you there.

joleme

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
well, the new card was just because it was free except for shipping :)

why not get a slightly better card for $20? heh.

Actually I don't have the error reports turned off, so if it was getting BSODs I should be seeing them. I guess i know the supply listed has enough power, I'm more curious as to peoples opinion of its brand.

not to mention im paranoid. lol.