Would an 8800GT fit in a Thermaltake Soprano case?

Drakelet

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Does anyone know? I measured that from the far back of the case to the vertical bar (which is where HDDs etc are installed) is 10.5". I've heard reports of 8800GTs being 9", but some say 11". I guess it depends on the make, although I'm not 100% sure which make I'll get. Possibly Asus or XFX or BFG, or maybe a cheaper make.

Thanks!

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
It will. The Soprano uses the same internal layout as the Tsunami (to my knowledge), and it fits in the Tsunami, so it should fit in the Soprano.

EDIT: As far as the make, I'd get an XFX or an eVGA. Easily two of the best brands around as far as customer service and warranties go.

Drakelet

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Thanks. I can't really afford another £130 for a case (Thermaltake Kandalf I was thinking)

Can anyone else double-verify this?

As for the actual card, I was looking at getting the XFX. Mainly because it's the only one I can find on Ebuyer, Dabs or Aria.

One more thing - Should I go fro PCI-E 2? I was thinking of getting the MSI P35 Neo2 FR or Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, which I've heard a lot of positive things about, but they don't support PCI-E 2. Also, is PCI-E the same as PCI-E 16x?

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
the card should fit. I have a soprano and it fits, just make sure there is no hdd installed behind the card because of the pci-e power cord.

Don't worry about pcie-2. Current vga cards are compatible with pci-e, and can hardly use half of the bandwidth available on pci-e 1.

Pci-E comes in 4 different "sizes" 1,4,8,16. The first slot is for vga cards at 16, and some mobos will have additional slots at various speeds.

As to the mobo, the gigabyte ga-P35C-DS3R is the combo ddr2/ddr3 version. ddr3 is just not reasonable today. The non-combo unit GA-P35-DS3R is a good choice.

Drakelet

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
OK, thanks. I'll stick with the XFX 8800GT, PCI-E 16x.

I can get the combo board for the same price as the DDR2-only, so I thought I might as well get the combo. That said, I'm a lot more likely to get the MSI than the Gigabyte, as I can get it easier, cheaper, and heard some excellent stuff about it.