Blue screen on new build

apache24uk

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
This may be a bit long winded, but its the only way!

Just done a new build using a C2D e6750 and a Asus P5K-E WiFi and using my old hard drives whilst the ram, gfx is also new.

When I turn it on it seems to boot up fine with it showing all the dvd drives (x2) through a PCI IDE controller card and the IDE hard disks (x2). It then shows a menu asking me how I would like to start windows e.g. 'safe mode', 'normal' etc. When I select 'normal' or 'safe mode' I get a flash of a 'blue screen' too quick to read!!

The only way i got to read some of the message was to camcorder it, again too quick for the camera to focus. But the message had something to do the the hard disk or hard disk controllers.

I removed the PCI IDE controller card, thinking it would work but still the same message appears. Even tried reinstalling XP but the cd just spins in the drive.

Any help you give would be great. Cheers

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
If you have changed motherboards your old boot drive will not work as it will try to load the old motherboard drivers. You need to go into the BIOS, set it to boot from CD, and boot from your Windows disk. Then you can install the drivers for the PCI IDE controller card. Not too sure where you are going to go from there as you will still probably not be able to boot from your old drive without reformatting and reinstalling Windows and then loading your new motherboard drivers..........anybody else have any ideas on this?
Den

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Sorry, just thought of more.......maybe try hooking up one hard drive and one dvd drive on the IDE (not PCI IDE) connector and then follow the suggestions above.......if you get everything up and running then you can switch stuff around later.
Voodoo Den

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Did you try to overclock? The same problem happened with me the first time I had a major OC. A good voltage jump (1.35v to ~1.52v) made it run like a champ.

apache24uk

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

Yep this worked. Computer is up an running fine. cheers