Help with Overclock of Q9450 on EP45-DS3R

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I just returned an EP35-DS3L because I got one of the buggy ones that wouldn't hold a voltage increase on an E8400. I exchanged everything and decided to move up to the P45 board with a quad core. I tried to do a search for overclocking instructions and navigating this motherboard with no luck. I tried a rudimentary overclock on the EP45 but ended in a typical blue screen of death when windows tried to boot. Can someone please point me in a direction to place proper settings on this board to get a stable overclock at 3.0GHz? I'm also running Corsair Dominator 8500 (1066MHz) memory. Please advise or point me to a place that can help. Thanks.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
A Couple Of Random Settings
In Advanced BIOS Features set:
HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability - [Enabled]
Full Screen LOGO Show - [Disabled]
Init Display First - [PEG]

In PC Health Status set:
CPU Warning Temperature [70C]
CPU FAN Fail Warning [Enabled]
CPU Smart FAN Control [Disabled]

OC Settings
1. In Advanced BIOS Features Temporarily set C1E and EIST to Disable. After you see the OC you can enable C1E again.
2. In MIT set the PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) to [100].
3. In MIT set the CPU Host Clock Control to [Enabled]
4. In MIT set CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) to [375].
5. In MIT set Performance Enhance to [Standard]
6. In MIT set System Memory Multiplier (SPD) to [2].
7. In MIT set DRAM Voltage to 2.1V (The RAM Spec.)
Leave all other settings on auto and boot.

This should give you 375*8 = 3Ghz. CPU and 375 * 2 = 750Mhz. RAM

If this boots and is stable and Prime95 temps are good you may want to go to 400 base and 3.2G CPU and 800 RAM.

I would leave the voltage on auto for the CPU.

I extrapolated this from my P35-DQ6 and many settings have been added and changed. Let me know if something doesn't make sense.

Let me know how it goes either way.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Zorg...thanks for the tip. It worked...so far. The hardest part was finding a RAM setting that would actually boot. I thought Corsair Dominator memory was overclockable, but I think there is something with the FSB that messes things up. Right now I have the processor running at 3.2 GHz (400MHz FSB x 8) and the RAM running at 1000 MHz. This Gigabyte Board has memory multipliers based on different FSB so I had to use one for a 266MHz Bus speed just to get to 1000 and allow it to boot. I guess I'm confused about how memory works. I thought the Corsair Dominator was overclockable, which is why I purchased it. It looks like you still have to keep it below 1066MHz (except when running the processor at stock speed) in order to boot.

On these processors...do C1E and EIST functions serve any purpose? I didn't think the C2Q had speed step technology (EIST) and I don't let my computer go into standby (C1E). Should either of these be enabled?

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
The memory is overclockable, you just need to tweak timings/voltages to do it. Since you currently are only overclocking the CPU, just keep the RAM under 1066mhz, so you know that no instabilities are due to RAM. Once you've got a good overclock, then you can start tweaking the RAM. (You don't need to though because with 450 FSB (3.6ghz on the CPU) you still can only use 900mhz RAM, any speeds above that have little to zero effect.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
First have you run Prime95 small FFTs and watched core temps with Real Temp for at least 15min or until they stabilized? If so, what are your temps?

Did you use my guide to get to 3.2 or were you already there? At 3.2 I would probably have set things a little different to come to the same outcome, but I don't think it really matters.

Yes the RAM does use a multiplier on the FSB. The multiplier choices change based on the (G)MCH Frequency Latch. At any rate, it isn't that important.

The Core2 architecture isn't very sensitive to RAM speed. I would back the RAM speed down to 800 and tighten the timings to those found in the SPD tab in CPU-Z for 800. The gains by running at 1066 are negligible and you increase the heat of the RAM needlessly.

Yes, the core2 does use EIST and C1E. I leave EIST disabled and use C1E. You have a misunderstanding of the purpose of C1E. It is very similar to EIST, but it doesn't put your computer to sleep.

Here is a test I did of C1E and EIST for the P35-DQ6. I believe you will find the results are the same for your mobo. I assume you have Vista. It should be similar, but you will have to make any adjustments needed.

BIOS Setting: EIST Enabled C1E Disabled
In XP you need to set Control Panel -> Power Management -> Minimal Power Requirements to enable EIST.
EIST only works with the stock frequency - no overclock.
It will adjust the multiplier and Vcore.
It will adjust only the multiplier if the Vcore is set to manual in the BIOS.
Right click My Computer and click Properties will give a current snapshot of the CPU frequency under the General Tab.

BIOS Setting: C1E Enabled EIST Disabled
No settings in XP are required.
It will work at stock frequency and overclock frequencies.
It will adjust the multiplier and Vcore at the stock frequency.
It will adjust only the multiplier [strike]if overclocked[/strike] or the Vcore is set to manual in the BIOS.
Update with latest F7 BIOS will adjust vcore if set to auto
Right click My Computer and click Properties will NOT give a current snapshot of the CPU frequency under the General Tab.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Ok. I just ran Prime 95 for 15 minutes and my stabilized temps for the four cores were 66C, 60C, 60C, and 63C, respectively, as measured by "Core Temp 0.99) with TjMax of 105C. This is using a Zalman 9700 cooler. Vista's power management is a bit different than XP...the only options I have are "Balanced", Power Saver, and High Performance. Mine is on balanced. From your advice I'll go back in and turn C1E back on, and leave EIST disabled. I did get to 3.2Ghz using your explanation above, although I have my RAM running at 1000MHz instead of 800. I got to this on a weird multiplier option though. I have the Memory Multiplier set to 2.5, but the BIOS says that is per a 266MHz FSB...not 333. I'm also using the new F8a BIOS on Gigabyte's page.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I haven't looked at Vista's power setup, but I would bet that they need to have EIST enabled to work.

I would check it with Real Temp linked above. I think Unclewebb has a better handle on Tjmax, it might show a lower temp. Although in reality the temps are the same, you get that right? The Core temp numbers are acceptable, maybe the 66c is a tad high, with Prime95 small FFTs. It would be nice to see lower ones with Real Temp for piece of mind. If not, that means that core temp got Tjmax right. Still not too hot just a little warm.

Your real base FSB clock is 400 so 400 X 2.5 = 1000. You can certainly leave it there. If you get bored you could try the 1:1 or "2" in BIOS and tighten the timings. You will save a little heat on the RAM, but no big deal as far as performance either way.

For reference my Q6600 @3.2 1600/800 1:1 has Prime95 small FFT temps of 57,57,59,59 with ambient 72F.
Real Temp is 52,52,54,54.
I'm using a TR Ultra120 Extreme.

You may be able to lower Vcore to lower the heat.

At any rate, congratulations you're overclocked.