Sign in with
Your question

Wireless N with PCI-E?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 6, 2009 10:54:06 PM

Are there any Wireless N NIC's out there that are PCI-e? My video card(s) are all regular PCI so if I can find a PCI-e wireless NIC then I can run my second video card in my machine...

Been looking on Newegg for weeks, searched here, etc. and have not found anything.

Thx for any replies - also, on the same topic, is a Wireless-N USB stick just as fast as a PCI NIC with external antenna? I currently have Linksys products which I am very happy with. I have been considering a USB wireless connection but I'm nervous about reliability and speed over USB.

More about : wireless pci

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2009 9:18:28 AM

I think there's a general feeling that PCI is preferable to USB -- remember USB was originally developed for simple stuff like mice.

If going for wireless N stick to the same brand of router and adapter.
April 7, 2009 11:42:07 AM

Quote:
I think there's a general feeling that PCI is preferable to USB -- remember USB was originally developed for simple stuff like mice.

If going for wireless N stick to the same brand of router and adapter.

That's too bad because I have Linksys products (like them and happy with them) now but found a D-Link PCI-e Wireless-N card on Newegg that fits the bill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is switching brands better/worse than trying out USB?
Related resources
April 7, 2009 3:41:05 PM

reviews look ok for that pcie card, but does seem to be problems getting it to work in linux, so if you using xp/vista/7 should be ok,

just remember to not bother with the driver cd or the connection management software and just let windows sort it for you.

check the dlink website for the newest drivers.
April 7, 2009 5:09:15 PM

Thx - I'll give it a try and see what happens!
!