faust163

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
hi ,just want to know if there is program that i can use to format my hard drive before i install windows .one that i can burn and use as a boot cd to format my hard drive . thanks :hello:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
There is no such thing any more. There are two kinds of format, standard (full) and quick. The standard a.k.a. full format runs chkdsk to mark any bad sectors. The OS will prompt you to choose the type of format, just choose the "not quick", which is the standard (full) format.

Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a "clean" installation of Windows XP

How to partition and format a hard disk by using Windows XP Setup program
Step 2: Format the hard disk and install Windows XP

1. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER.
2. Select the format option that you want to use to format the partition. You can select from the following options:
* Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
* Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
* Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
* Format the partition by using the FAT file system
* Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
If, when you say you want a low and deep format, you are referring to wiping the HD, then that is something completely different. That would be known as a zero write. It can be done with the free version of Active@ Kill Disk. It can be downloaded directly from them, but you might as well download the Ultimate Boot CD and run Active@ Kill Disk from it. That way you will have other useful programs, including Memtest86+, without having to download and burn them separately.

You will need to burn the ISO to CD with ISO Recorder v2 or other ISO burning software.

faust163

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
zorg i think u found it. ultimate boot cd sounds great!other programs will come in handy, will give it a try . thanks zorg for this great info.