Windows update help

redragon777

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
For some reason my windows update is not working at all. even though, i have it turned on and have gone through multiple help sections from this and other websites. im at a loss. i check windows firewall, windows updates, and edited my registry. everytime i go to the windows website to get the updates, seeming as how my updater wont do it, i get an error message:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.

help me please!

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

OR it could just be that your internet provider is not connecting to the site.

Are you using internet explorer to access the website?

redragon777

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

yes im using IE to access it but i checked all those things you said and only one was on automatic and i switched it to manual. is there anything else i can do? they are all showing its on and working.

Yes I can think of a few things:

Try running the update with the anti virus and firewall turned off

A. run system restore, go back to a date before the problem started

Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

B. Delete the service packs and try re- installing them:

click my computer
click control panel
click add remove programs
Does it show SP3 installed? Delete it.
If you are able to delete SP3, start the install process over again by going to the MS update site. Install SP3 again with your antivirus and fire wall turned off.

C. Repair install XP with the system disk, without reformatting, if you have the disk.
then reload the motherboard drivers, reload all the updates.

But let's face it-- if all the above fails, some older computers it seems just can't run the updates.
As I have said before, as long as you have a good security system running, you really don't need the updates. And if the computer won't run the updates, you need to live with it.

Back up all your personal files to CD, DVD, online backup service such as Mozy, in case of future problems or failures.

redragon777

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
ty so much for you help im going to try a few things before i give up entirely but i have an external harddrive, while its kindof failed like my comp in that it doesnt backup automatically anymore i can still move stuff over to it and use it like a large safety deposit box. so im not going to worry about it i mean i have windows firewall and trend micro antivirus so i should be alright. thanks again!

Well, updates will not run on some older computers.
But if you have a good security installed, you really don't need the updates.
And on several computers that would not install the updates, we have turned off the updates entirely.
Tip: install microsoft power toys tweek IU for XP, from the microsoft website.
This allows turning off the messages: Your computer may be at risk! turn on the automatic updates! updates are ready to install!

In your case:
A. uninstall the updates, uninstall SP3
B. turn off the automatic updates
C. use system restore to roll the computer back to the time when your backup drive was working.
D. Install Tweek IU

Your computer may run better without the updates. Try it.