Quick LED wiring question so that I can continue the build

sleepyhead

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Hey guys. It's time to connect my front panel LED's. The connections from the case are all different colored wires. I have red/white, blue/white, purple/white and I think black/white. Are the white wires always 'negative' and the colored wires, irregardless of color, always postive?

If I can get some input I'll be able to resume my build. Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
Take a look at the LEDs. On the inside of the plastic case one of the leads is bigger, that's the negative lead.

Normally the white/black wires are negative, but I've come across a few where they were wired up backwards. The just need switching round till they work. I've not blown any by plugging them in backwards over the last 18 years.

sleepyhead

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Thanks! I ended up trying the white wires as the negatives and my assumption was correct. Everything works perfecty. :) And to MrsBytch...After lurking and posting here for a while now I've finally earned one of your valuable responses. I am so honored!!! :p

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
White is generally used as negative and can be identified by remembering that negative used to be referred to as "common".

drysocks

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Yes it can. Or it could just mean -pin 1- of the connector.

TRENDING THREADS