Need help OC q6600 on Asus Striker II

HugeDamage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Hi,

I am new here and I really need your help guys,

I have the following build.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 /w. 8MB L2 (2.4Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120 Air Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Striker 2 Formula with NForce 780i chipset
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 800 (5-5-5-18-T2)
Video Card : BFG GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked 768MB

I tried to Oc to 3.0 with the following settings:

QDR 1333
DDR 800
mulit 9x

voltages are

CPU Voltage = 1.40v
CPU PLL Voltage = 1.5v
CPU VTT Voltage = 1.20v
Memory Voltage = 2.1v
NB Core Voltage = 1.40v
SB Core Voltage = 1.50v

it is working fine but once or twice a week for some time I am getting a blue screen of :

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
*** The system has halted ***

I also tried to set the voltages to Auto but my temp reach 70 within few hours.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Uhh, sure! First off, how about running Core Temp or Real temp and listing your Processors VID.

Since VID is starting voltage for stock settings, it hints at what voltages you'll need for other speeds.

And on a NVidia board, VDrop and droop become the Blue Screen factor!

To test this, you can either boot at stock, after looking at the VID, then manually enter the VID as the Bios VCore, and disable speed step, C1E and any EITS you may have in your Bios!

Boot to windows, and look with CPUz to see what your current Core Voltage is. It will be under the Bios VCore by some, that is Vdrop.

After wards, you can run Prime 95 small ffts torture test on all 4 cores for at least a minute or two, and then list what it now says your Core Voltage is with Cpuz. It will be lowered again, that is VDroop.

List them all here!

Vdrop = Initial from Bios to idle windows voltage drop.

VDroop = further dropping of VCore when loaded on small ffts, all cores.

AFTER their effects is your Loaded VCore value.

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
And that is at what Bios VCore setting? (If VID, then let me know that, too, because I need to know what yer starting voltage is, for both the test, and the VID of the processor.

:)

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
First line in upper post! Down load and run the program, Real temp, Or Core temp, and they will tell you. You may have to disable speed step, C1E and EIST in the bios first.

If you had it on auto in the test above, then you are gonna have a 1.3250 VID chip, like everyone else! It's the worse one, and will establish what you need for higher over clocks!

--Lupi

HugeDamage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
OK :) here is the correct readings.

At stoking speed, C1E & EIST are both disabled

the voltages are

VID = 1.3250v (same VID before & after the test)
drop = 1.232v
droop = 1.200v

Please disregard the old posted voltages

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
One last thing! Load Line Calibration. If you have it, enable it, and then run the same test again!

1.3250 will need 1.44-1.45 volts while running small ffts on that VID chip!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Wow, that is strange!!

Have you updated your Bios lately? :)

Load Line Calibration enabled should reduce the effects.

Even on my Asus board with it, it leaves .0750 VDrop, but no VDroop what so ever. (780I P5N72-T)

Here is how that works!

When you over clock, you need to make up for the extra speed and power requirements of the processor by adding VCore, we all know that!

But when your VDrop and droop are so high, it basically negates the effect we need to over clock!

if that is the case, then you would need 1.5500 to get near 1.44 loaded that you will need at 3.6 Ghz.

So with that board, and that Vdrop and droop, you get to waste .1350 volts of power that could help you over clock!

For instance, my Maximus formula, with load line calibration enabled, has a Vdrop of .0250, and No VDroop at all!

So I would need 1.4625 for about 1.44 while Loaded. That is alot less voltage than you will need, because of the board.

NVidia is always like that, I had to settle with 3.4 Ghz on my 1.3250 q6600 on a P5n-d NVidia board.

Where would you like to actually OC to?

--Lupi

HugeDamage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Thank for the the greate help.

acctually yesterday I have updated my bios to the last version from Asus 1401.

I would like to OC to 3.2

What about the NB votages?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Is there any way for you to get pics of your Bios? I dont have that board, but I do have an Asus 780i, and man, it was a byotch to over clock at all.

Doesn't save settings, the seamless memory thingie hates on certain FSB points, had to automatically adjust VTT and GTL off the top to compensate for low level interference before it would even boot without just freezing.

If you can't post em, I will try and hunt em down.

--Lupi

HugeDamage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
i need to have cam for this maybe

I am thnink also to downgrade the bios to 1001 cause i feel that ver 1401 is diffcault to OC

Can i use print screen to take shoots of the bios ? i dont think it will work

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Anyways, since you left again, run the blend test!

The seamless strap bullshiznit likes to leave a trail of quick failures when the blend test is running, so that gives it away.

Then there are the goodies like transactionbooster, static read controls, VTT and GTL, skews, pull ins and all sorts of other junk to mess with your RAM and that seamless memory stepping trash!

Did you disable all the CPU options? Did you disable all the spread spectrum junk? Did you lock the PCIe to 100 for now?

Yee haw!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I have no clue how to place that in here! hehehe! I didn't even use the photobucket method until someone showed me!

12500at38over8hours.jpg

hehehe!

--Lupi