what exactly is the start menu

July 25, 2005 8:53:00 PM

When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
too many items in my Start Menu to display.

Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?

Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.

Thanks

More about : start menu

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:53:01 PM

When you click on the start button, the start menu is the section directly
below your username in the top left corner of the menu. It is also the first
items listed in the list when you select all programs. Directly above the
"all programs" when clicking start, is the most recently used programs. If
you look closely you will see the separator that separates the 2 menus. That
message is telling you that you have too many items in the "Start" menu. You
can edit that menu by right clicking the start button and choosing Explore,
Explore all users, or Open all users. With the exception of the Programs
folder everything else in there can be deleted as they are only shortcuts.

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>
> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>
> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:10:11 AM

Hi Richard

Here is my understanding of the Start Menu:

The Start Menu is a place where Windows adds commands for your frequently
used programs.
That is if you are using notepad, you will see a notepad icon in your Start
Menu and if you are using it a lot, you will see the notepad icon move
upwards.

About the Baloon tips, try to right click the Taskbar and choose properties,
open the Start Menu Tab and press the Customize button. Here you can set the
number of programs to be in the Start Menu (seems the max is 30and default
is 6 I think), try to set a higher number and see if the Baloon tips
disappears.

I hope you can use this information to solve your problem or at least give
you an explenation

--
Kind Regards
Henning S. Frandsen

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>
> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>
> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.
>
> Thanks
Related resources
July 26, 2005 3:12:31 AM

richard wrote:
> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>
> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>
> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.
>
> Thanks

I think I now understand better what the start menu is all about.
Thanks, and peace.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:15:57 AM

You have told it to show X number of recently used program. X is too big. Doesn't really matter. You still see all you are going to see. The main problem is it bothers to tell you. Unless you are into counting the number of items on Start you would not be able to tell the difference between a correctly configured Start or an incorrect one. They look the same.

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message news:epfQerVkFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>
> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>
> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:26:44 AM

Lower number not higher.

"Henning S. Frandsen" <hefra@wmdata.com> wrote in message news:o 7fu$0VkFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi Richard
>
> Here is my understanding of the Start Menu:
>
> The Start Menu is a place where Windows adds commands for your frequently
> used programs.
> That is if you are using notepad, you will see a notepad icon in your Start
> Menu and if you are using it a lot, you will see the notepad icon move
> upwards.
>
> About the Baloon tips, try to right click the Taskbar and choose properties,
> open the Start Menu Tab and press the Customize button. Here you can set the
> number of programs to be in the Start Menu (seems the max is 30and default
> is 6 I think), try to set a higher number and see if the Baloon tips
> disappears.
>
> I hope you can use this information to solve your problem or at least give
> you an explenation
>
> --
> Kind Regards
> Henning S. Frandsen
> Systemengineer
> henning_frandsen@hotmail.com
>

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
>> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>>
>> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
>> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
>> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>>
>> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:32:38 PM

You are wrong.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message news:ubIdUcWkFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> When you click on the start button, the start menu is the section directly
> below your username in the top left corner of the menu. It is also the first
> items listed in the list when you select all programs. Directly above the
> "all programs" when clicking start, is the most recently used programs. If
> you look closely you will see the separator that separates the 2 menus. That
> message is telling you that you have too many items in the "Start" menu. You
> can edit that menu by right clicking the start button and choosing Explore,
> Explore all users, or Open all users. With the exception of the Programs
> folder everything else in there can be deleted as they are only shortcuts.

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
>> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>>
>> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
>> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
>> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>>
>> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:04:46 PM

You posts were deleted by MS for swearing. Get smart and learn how to swear so a human must delete rather than an MS computer censor.

The error message described by the person happens when the total number of icons set to be shown exceeds the height of the screen on the main Start Menu page. Simple. It has nothing to do with All Programs and as the main Start Menu is a list in the registry opening a Explorer window won't help.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uB7sKjWkFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
You are wrong.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message news:ubIdUcWkFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> When you click on the start button, the start menu is the section directly
> below your username in the top left corner of the menu. It is also the first
> items listed in the list when you select all programs. Directly above the
> "all programs" when clicking start, is the most recently used programs. If
> you look closely you will see the separator that separates the 2 menus. That
> message is telling you that you have too many items in the "Start" menu. You
> can edit that menu by right clicking the start button and choosing Explore,
> Explore all users, or Open all users. With the exception of the Programs
> folder everything else in there can be deleted as they are only shortcuts.

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
>> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>>
>> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
>> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
>> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>>
>> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:16:40 PM

Your Post That Was Deleted

Grow up rectumhole. I am not wrong. You are just pissed because you were wrong.
You have been trying so hard this past week to make me look bad you are now
obsessed with me. Hey STALKER since I am always wrong use Google and find a
post from someone who system I screwed up. Make sure you check the message
headers because if you post something from that name forging troll I will
make sure everybody knows how incompetent you are. You do know how to check
headers don't you?

PS. I have not accused you of screwing up anyone's system (although others have but not me). I do know how to check headers but don't (usually). But this thread is an example of you being wrong. You had obviously seen the right answers and still posted. What does that make you? As I was in this thread before you one could make the argument that you are stalking me, but I won't. I just assumed stupidity.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:eDcqrWXkFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
You posts were deleted by MS for swearing. Get smart and learn how to swear so a human must delete rather than an MS computer censor.

The error message described by the person happens when the total number of icons set to be shown exceeds the height of the screen on the main Start Menu page. Simple. It has nothing to do with All Programs and as the main Start Menu is a list in the registry opening a Explorer window won't help.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uB7sKjWkFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
You are wrong.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message news:ubIdUcWkFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> When you click on the start button, the start menu is the section directly
> below your username in the top left corner of the menu. It is also the first
> items listed in the list when you select all programs. Directly above the
> "all programs" when clicking start, is the most recently used programs. If
> you look closely you will see the separator that separates the 2 menus. That
> message is telling you that you have too many items in the "Start" menu. You
> can edit that menu by right clicking the start button and choosing Explore,
> Explore all users, or Open all users. With the exception of the Programs
> folder everything else in there can be deleted as they are only shortcuts.

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
>> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>>
>> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
>> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
>> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>>
>> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:16:41 PM

I see my post just fine.

Your Post That Was Deleted

Grow up rectumhole. I am not wrong. You are just pissed because you were
wrong.
You have been trying so hard this past week to make me look bad you are now
obsessed with me. Hey STALKER since I am always wrong use Google and find a
post from someone who system I screwed up. Make sure you check the message
headers because if you post something from that name forging troll I will
make sure everybody knows how incompetent you are. You do know how to check
headers don't you?

PS. I have not accused you of screwing up anyone's system (although others
have but not me). I do know how to check headers but don't (usually). But
this thread is an example of you being wrong. You had obviously seen the
right answers and still posted. What does that make you? As I was in this
thread before you one could make the argument that you are stalking me, but
I won't. I just assumed stupidity.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You posts were deleted by MS for swearing. Get smart and learn how to swear
so a human must delete rather than an MS computer censor.

The error message described by the person happens when the total number of
icons set to be shown exceeds the height of the screen on the main Start
Menu page. Simple. It has nothing to do with All Programs and as the main
Start Menu is a list in the registry opening a Explorer window won't help.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You are wrong.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> When you click on the start button, the start menu is the section directly
> below your username in the top left corner of the menu. It is also the
> first
> items listed in the list when you select all programs. Directly above the
> "all programs" when clicking start, is the most recently used programs. If
> you look closely you will see the separator that separates the 2 menus.
> That
> message is telling you that you have too many items in the "Start" menu.
> You
> can edit that menu by right clicking the start button and choosing
> Explore,
> Explore all users, or Open all users. With the exception of the Programs
> folder everything else in there can be deleted as they are only shortcuts.

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
>> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>>
>> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
>> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
>> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>>
>> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from
>> somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:16:41 PM

Why don't you just ignore me. you seem to always butt in and reply to my
posts. If my answers are wrong so be it, but they are not. You also know you
cannot find anything that my wrong answers has screwed up. I think it is
best you put me in your kill file.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Your Post That Was Deleted

Grow up rectumhole. I am not wrong. You are just pissed because you were
wrong.
You have been trying so hard this past week to make me look bad you are now
obsessed with me. Hey STALKER since I am always wrong use Google and find a
post from someone who system I screwed up. Make sure you check the message
headers because if you post something from that name forging troll I will
make sure everybody knows how incompetent you are. You do know how to check
headers don't you?

PS. I have not accused you of screwing up anyone's system (although others
have but not me). I do know how to check headers but don't (usually). But
this thread is an example of you being wrong. You had obviously seen the
right answers and still posted. What does that make you? As I was in this
thread before you one could make the argument that you are stalking me, but
I won't. I just assumed stupidity.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You posts were deleted by MS for swearing. Get smart and learn how to swear
so a human must delete rather than an MS computer censor.

The error message described by the person happens when the total number of
icons set to be shown exceeds the height of the screen on the main Start
Menu page. Simple. It has nothing to do with All Programs and as the main
Start Menu is a list in the registry opening a Explorer window won't help.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You are wrong.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> When you click on the start button, the start menu is the section directly
> below your username in the top left corner of the menu. It is also the
> first
> items listed in the list when you select all programs. Directly above the
> "all programs" when clicking start, is the most recently used programs. If
> you look closely you will see the separator that separates the 2 menus.
> That
> message is telling you that you have too many items in the "Start" menu.
> You
> can edit that menu by right clicking the start button and choosing
> Explore,
> Explore all users, or Open all users. With the exception of the Programs
> folder everything else in there can be deleted as they are only shortcuts.

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
>> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>>
>> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
>> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
>> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>>
>> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from
>> somewhere.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:42:03 PM

I don't have a kill file. You don't use msnews so you can probably see your post but most people here can't. I haven't looked to see if you screwed up anyone's system.
You are wrong and you would have wasted the person's time - are we to allow wrong information?

You were told what would happen if you asked for HJ logs. This is a different issue where I am just correcting wrong info - Id do it to anyone. Don't take this personality. Ask the MVPs - I correct them when they are wrong too. As you are as arrogant as me I not as nice to you. If you want to be treated nice be humble.

And I said last week I don't hate you and nor did anyone else. While the second part is no longer true the first is.
"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message news:LyfFe.482$kk6.246@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> [...]
>> That
>> message is telling you that you have too many items in the "Start" menu.
>> You
>> can edit that menu by right clicking the start button and choosing
>> Explore,
>> Explore all users, or Open all users. With the exception of the Programs
>> folder everything else in there can be deleted as they are only shortcuts.
>>
>> --

>> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>>> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
>>> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>>>
>>> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
>>> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
>>> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>>>
>>> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:42:04 PM

It is clear that we disagree on a few things. Why don't we just leave it
like that. If you feel my advice is wrong then kindly explain to the
original poster how it is wrong, they are the ones that needs to know, I
will see it. Your last post was simply "You are wrong" which was directed at
me.

> [...]

>> message is telling you that you have too many items in the "Start" menu.
>> You
>> can edit that menu by right clicking the start button and choosing
>> Explore,
>> Explore all users, or Open all users. With the exception of the Programs
>> folder everything else in there can be deleted as they are only
>> shortcuts.
>>
>> --

>> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>>> When I click on Start/Programs I get a baloon telling me that there are
>>> too many items in my Start Menu to display.
>>>
>>> Questions: what axactly is the function of the start menu? And when I
>>> click on Programs, I seem to see everything I need there, with space to
>>> spare in the right-hand column. What's not being displayed?
>>>
>>> Perhaps if I understood all this, I could remove something from

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 4:13:16 PM

May I suggest you use the news://msnews.microsoft.com server. I've noticed you answer after others have answered like in this thread. This is perhaps because of the time delay from this server where most posts are made to your local server. Just a suggestion.

!