Sign in with
Your question

64GB SSD enough room?

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2009 6:19:53 PM

im considering buying a small SSD drive to put vista 64 on and am wanting enough room to keep a game or two on there as well. at this point i have 2x WD caviar black 500GB drives in RAID 0, so im really in no need of extra room, i just want better performance.

does anyone have any experience/advice on doing this. is it worth it? patriot/ocz/gskill all have 64gb ssd drives for around $150.

More about : 64gb ssd room

January 13, 2009 5:36:42 AM

First I recommend you to read this review:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...
(especially pages 7,8,9)
As you can see there today's cheap MLC drives have quite a problems with random writes and multitasking (with only exception being Intel X25-M which on other hand is quite expensive)

I also recommend you to read through OCZ forums there you can find first hand experience from many SSD users - some of them were experiencing system stuttering and stalling etc. as due to poor random write performance of the drives. There you can also find some tweaks how to enhance performance of your SSD drive - e.g. partition alignment, installing SteadyState (which converts multiple random writes into sequential writes - which are fast) etc. Though it is OCZ forum I believe the same methods could be applied also on drives of other manufacturers to enhance performance.

It is up to you - if you are willing to invest time into performing all those tweaks you should probably go for SSD. However you can also wait till third generation of MLC SSD drives hits the market which I hope will happen in less then 3 - 6 months (it's just a pure guess) I expect that those new drives could be competitive with Intel X25-M but with much more reasonable price and with the poor random write performance fixed.
!