Q: About Nvidia 780i "nTune" software?

clearevil

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I just finished putting my rig together, and my nForce 780i motherboard came with this software called "nTune," as I was about to run a stability test, the "End User License Agreement" came up and it asked me If I wanted to accept the agreement, but also warning me that the software could damage hardware, and at the same time voiding the warranties of the damaged hardware, among other warnings.

Are they just covering their butts? Or is there a legitimate chance the software can damage my hardware? I mean, it just sounded scary so i decided not to perform the stability test until i did some research on the matter.

Thanks.

clearevil

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008

Well, Ntune gives you the ability to make some fairly powerful changes to your system, including overclocking, so if you choose to OC too much yes you can damage your equipment. Don't worry. Just use the usual caution if you use it to overclock.

I know Ntune will OC your Nvidia graphics card, that's what I use, I think it will also overclock your CPU? Not sure. I always avoid any inside windows software OC utilities for CPU. OC the CPU in your BIOS. I'm not sure about the stability test - does it just test stability or does it attempt to 'autotune' the system, meaning to OC it to a stable level? If it's the latter I would avoid it myself. I have not tried that in a long time and I don't have an Nvidia chipset, so things may have changed I guess.

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Yes, with Ntune you can control the FSB, multiplier of the CPU, also OC NVidia GPU's and even change voltages and fan speeds.
It's a powerful tool (if you get it to work) but you should be careful if you're inexperienced with OCing.
There's a utility which will gradually OC your entire system and run stability test to figure out the safest OC profile which is very usufull (Usually you can push your system a bit more than Ntune will suggest).
Have fun!

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
However, you should only overclock the graphics card with nTune, as the Bios is much safer for OCing the RAM, CPU and other components. The stability test is a nice thing to test for stability if you don't feel like running 3Dmark for hours on end.

Muhad

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Doesn't matter if you OC from the BIOS or nTune. Howerver if nTune works for you, you will be one of the lucky people. I use it, however it does cause black screen when booting IF the Coolbits is set to '2' in the Windows Registry. When I set Cookbits to a '1' all is ok.